Untangle Ninja

Default It's interesting how many sites have heavily delayed loading...

... immediately post update to v12, sites using monetate, outbrain, googanal taking almost a minute to load now until unselected... which basically implies that Application Control wasn't really doing much of anything in v11.

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/1...#Minor_Changes

this is because all blocking is now tarpitting.
    Last edited by dmorris; 04-21-2016 at 04:50 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

I don't understand what that means.

Example; in v11 the application Monetate was set to block and the sites qvc and hsn would load without issue.

Immediately after the upgrade to v12, the sites qvc and hsn would not render in the browser, prompting complaints from a couple of the users until Monetate was no longer blocked.

So, in version 11, with Monetate blocked, not tarpitted, users could use the sites qvc and hsn without issue.
    Now, in v12, with Monetate blocked they cannot.

This means that I now cannot block Monetate.

This is why one example of why I assumed that app control wasn't actually working in v11.

Tarpitting makes sense with how pages render when googanal is blocked, etc. Even the Untangle forums are delayed for as long as 40 seconds when those applications are set to block, not tarpit, whereas in v11 the Untangle forums rendered without delay when they were set to block, not tarpit.
    Last edited by fasttech; 04-22-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Yes, that was my point. All blocking is now tarpitting in v12.

The application control engine itself is the same in 11.2 as in 12.0
    Last edited by dmorris; 04-22-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spell gud
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangle Ninja

Ok, well at the end of the day, my users can't make use of the internetz with v12 when they could with v11, and that's all that matters, can the business, do its business.

So at this point, in this network, along with virus blocker and intrusion prevention I may as well uninstall application control too.

Untangle sure is a fine router, web filter and report generator, but it sure seems like the rest of the apps are just to check the box.

Are you providing feedback that v11 application control doesn't work? Thanks for the feedback.

Or are you trying to resolve an issue? If the latter, I would start a thread and state your issue or open a ticket.
    https://forums.untangle.com/announce...uidelines.html
    Last edited by dmorris; 04-22-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Untangle Ninja

Ok,

Using the monetate application as an example.

When, in v11, the application was set to blocked, not tarpitted, the browser was able to render pages and the user was able to conduct their business.

Now, in v12, the application is apparently not blocked, though it says blocked, it is in fact tarpitted.

That it's tarpitted now means the browser waits to render the page instead of working around the unavailability of content and the user is brought to a halt in the conduct of their business.

Therefore, the application cannot be blocked any longer because it stops the user from conducting their business.

If this is correct, is this your intention for the functionality of Application Control?

Yes. This will be revised in 12.0.1 to something similar to the original functionality but with some tweaks.

Next time, just start out with that post. Don't troll by posting disguised feedback/insults when you are really trying to ask a question. There should be a sentence that ends with "?"

Untangle Ninja

I find it ironic that you refer to me as a troll.

I'm here to help and answer questions.
    It is clear from your frequent posts where do you don't post questions and instead post inflammatory comments that you are just trying to evoke reactions. This is exactly what trolling is. I usually don't reply, but others do and several incidents have lead to wild speculation and propagation of broscience.

Please cool off for a while.
    If you decide to come back, please come back and join us and help us help other users here.
    Last edited by dmorris; 04-22-2016 at 12:29 PM.
    WebFooL and Coldfirex like this.