Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Noob Questions, Choose All Applicaitons

Is there away like a shortcut key to choose all applications or subset to block instead of going to each one and checking them off?

No.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Ok, I guess i will export the JSON and do a find and replace Block=false with true. Thank you for confirming that there wasn't a simple way to do this.

This is by design, and with good reason. You really don't want to just block everything out of hand. It doesn't end well.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 13.1 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Unless there are more apps that you want filter and it would take less time to go through and uncheck the ones you want to pass. Less clicks = less time spent.

ccollinscj likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

But if you want to block every app in Application Control wouldn't it be easier to block everything in the Firewall app and let only what you want to pass?
    Happily untangling the average household: 20-25 active devices, 10 racks, each with 3 - 8 apps, OpenVPN 1 out 1 in, IPSec 1 lan2lan tunnel 1 road-warrior, TunnelVPN 1 out, IPS on. Spice it up with VLANs and mix with tons of rules.

I think you missed the point of having one click all apps chosen an going through and unchecking the apps you want passed. Opposite of the security model Microsoft used to use, having everything wide open by default and having to shut everything down. Less clicks and better security upfront.

You seem to be laboring under the delusion that these application profiles are accurate... You also seem to be laboring under a further delusion that closed by default is inherently more secure. The industry left these ideas behind a very long time ago. The feature you're requesting has been considered, and rejected. Why? Because people don't think, and they do what you're trying to do, and they break their networks and then they come running in here, and clogging up Untangle's support lines with endless problems.

Application Control doesn't do what you think it does, and no you shoudln't be blocking everything in that list... ever.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by ccollinscj View Post
    I think you missed the point of having one click all apps chosen an going through and unchecking the apps you want passed. Opposite of the security model Microsoft used to use, having everything wide open by default and having to shut everything down. Less clicks and better security upfront.
    I think your original post didn't address this, if not implicitly in your mind . Now that it does, OK I get your point, but Application Control is not what you think it is. The block-all permit-some paradigm is best applied to consistent and not overlapping rules. Now, in Application Control you'd have some overlapping in the way many applications share the same protocol chain.

So no, while your point is clear and well established in, for instance, the Firewall app context, you should not use it in the Application Control. Hope this clears it. That's why I explicitly cited the Firewall app. There, that paradigm would work.

Lastly, as sky-knight said, the UT team has probably considered that having users faulty believing to highly secure their networks by checking all applications in AC and then opening support tickets for this would have been a bad idea, commercially speaking
    Happily untangling the average household: 20-25 active devices, 10 racks, each with 3 - 8 apps, OpenVPN 1 out 1 in, IPSec 1 lan2lan tunnel 1 road-warrior, TunnelVPN 1 out, IPS on. Spice it up with VLANs and mix with tons of rules.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast