Default Blocking Windows Update and Microsoft Store

Is there an easy way to block Windows Update and Microsoft Store, aside from blocking all IPs manually? I've blocked WINUPDAT in App Control, but I still see heavy traffic go through.

Blocking MICRSOFT is not really an option, as it disables too many Microsoft services.

Instead of trying to attack the whole issue "I'm trying to block X"
    I would look in reports at look at the specific session you want to block. If there are many, just pick one.
    How was it classified by application control? What port is it? What http/https certificate information is known about it? From there its usually pretty easy to find a way to block it.
    If you are unsure, just post a screenshot of the session with the details panel on the side expanded.
    If its web-based you can use the http events instead to get more info.

As far as windows update, there are tons and tons of different kinds of windows updates. This is why the above is important.
    Last edited by dmorris; 06-16-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thank you, I found a common denominator in Protochain and blocked it accoridng to that value. Is there are difference in creating blocking rules in various Apps? For example if I create a block rule for "HTTP: Hostname = *.potato.com", does it matter if that rule is created under Web Filter, Application Control or Firewall?

The conditions are the same, but the rules do very different things.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    The conditions are the same, but the rules do very different things.
    In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by frenaud View Post
    In what way?
    A firewall rule blocks sessions, a web filter rule redirect web requests to a block page, a bandwidth control rule prioritize traffic, etc etc.

fwiw, I understand blocking the Windows Store, but blocking Windows Update is crazy.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 13.1 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    A firewall rule blocks sessions, a web filter rule redirect web requests to a block page, a bandwidth control rule prioritize traffic, etc etc.
    Thanks, I understand better now!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    fwiw, I understand blocking the Windows Store, but blocking Windows Update is crazy.
    We're on an extremely limited remote satellite connection (10MB for 250+ users). We use a WSUS server for Windows Update for our domain computers, but we also have a bunch of guests and contractors that connect. When patch mornings hit, it crushes our bandwidth, so we want to block Windows Updates to contractors/guests.
    Sam Graf likes this.