Default Possible bug? XVPN app control is blocking bing.com and google.com

Came across an unusual situation with two major search engines being blocked.

google.com
    bing.com

From a browser we could go to google.co.uk without any problems, but when browsing to bing.com or google.com, we received a 'connection closed' response. I'd tried deselecting just about everything in SSL, and it would work fine if I turned off SSL Inspector (ignore rule for those two search engines).

I cleared out the /var/cache/untangle-ssl/* folder, but it still didn't work.

I then wondered if Application Control was causing this. I noticed that the google.com and bing.com requests fell into the VPN and tunnelling category, so I disabled every application in that category and BOOOM! it worked straight away.

I went through the list selecting specific ones and so far I've discovered that the XVPN category blocks the bing.com search engine. I'd love to know why if this isn't a bug, otherwise I hope this helps to get it fixed.

I'm still trying to figure out which application control is blocking google.com

EDIT: Looks like this applies to google.com also. XVPN blocks both bing.com and google.com
    Last edited by schooltechie; 11-07-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Application Control is a best guess regex matching. This means false positive are going to happen especially on SSL sessions.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thank you for replying.
    Is there anything I could do to improve things, or just 'uncheck' the XVPN application?

Are you having issues with users using XVPN and you want to block it?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

I'm one of those folks who tend to enable most categories until someone complains something isn't working.
    Overkill, but I sleep a little better at night :laughing:

Out of interest, would you advise that my approach is not helpful? As in, would it be contributing to more work for our untangle box ?

For most organizations that approach is going to be a net loss as you will create more issues than you solve.
    This applies to many tools, like firewalling, IPS, web filtering, etc.
    For some that try it, it goes so badly that they end up uninstalling the product because "it causes XYZ problems." Beware.

However, If you know what you are doing and are willing to spend the time and your users are patient with dealing with occasional issues, go for it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Understood, thank you.
    I'm very pleased with untangle, and so are the staff, it's such an improvement to what we used to use.