Thread: Hangouts

Default Hangouts

Who knows about google hangouts? It still doesn't work? I also looking for any recommendation about alternatives...any advice, please.

Microsoft Teams, the sole reason why Google Apps has been rendered utterly irrelevant. It's achieved massive market domination for a reason, and any organization not using it is currently at a competitive disadvantage.

You can duplicate its functionality with 3rd party products... but in aggregate they all cost more, both in direct and indirect costs.

If you really want an open solution, I've had decent luck pairing up Matrix's Synapse with NextCloud. But again, it costs more... it takes me more time to keep that stuff patched, online, and administrated than I save just using Teams. I'm not a huge fan of that reality, but that's reality.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-20-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thank you for the information. I also researched some information about Hangouts alternatives and found this review https://alternativemaster.com/alternatives-to-hangouts

Untangler

Agree about MS Teams. Google Meet has worked really well for us too, but I have to check settings often to keep up with all the recent changes.

It's not something we use here in an official capacity, but a lot of us at Untangle (myself included) are really big fans/users of Discord. Great video call options/quality, but that's just, like, my opinion..man.

I've used Discord in a pinch for companies that don't have Teams. I always seem to forget about it, which is silly because I use it daily.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

MS Teams in a browser or native now in Linux.