Untangler

Default Blocking Bluestacks (Android emulator)

Hi everyone,

I've searched around the web and tried the following methods to block Bluestacks which is an emulator that can run on PC or Mac use android apps. I've tried blocking googleplay et al in Application Control, I've added every URI that I can find associated with googleplay, adroid et al in Web Filter, and even tried adding IP's of Google that seemed to have traffic which correlated to when the app was being used, but I can't block it. Specifically, I'd like to be able to block the "Among Us Game" that is a wide range of students are using (instead of their homework or school). If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very thankful.

Master Untangler

Is the Games category blocked in Web Filter? I'm sure this has limited potential but you never know.

With what you're currently doing, blocking IPs, URIs, URLs, etc. These get practically randomized because of CDNs, but mostly because these apps have been designed to circumvent filters. You could create a more aggressive filter but that could prevent legitimate traffic from going through.

You may need to delve into SSL inspection to better identify, manage, and police specific traffic. More likely than not, these games call home using SSL and without equipping Untangle to decrypt SSL, it can't properly identify one encrypted stream from the other.

However, you will need to have the students trust Untangle's certificate for each device on the student network where this policy is applied.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Is the Games category blocked in Web Filter? I'm sure this has limited potential but you never know.

With what you're currently doing, blocking IPs, URIs, URLs, etc. These get practically randomized because of CDNs, but mostly because these apps have been designed to circumvent filters. You could create a more aggressive filter but that could prevent legitimate traffic from going through.

You may need to delve into SSL inspection to better identify, manage, and police specific traffic. More likely than not, these games call home using SSL and without equipping Untangle to decrypt SSL, it can't properly identify one encrypted stream from the other.

However, you will need to have the students trust Untangle's certificate for each device on the student network where this policy is applied.
    @oj88,

Thank you for your reply. I had not included "Games" in webfilter, but have it checked now. I did notice that SSL Inspector was able to identify many more instances of googleplay ip's than Application Control or Web Filter (I have it enabled for said device), but I was not able to identify an actionable whereby I could make a rule in any other app that would take a field from SSL Inspector's "detail" field, and block that traffic once SSL Inspector had correctly identified it as GooglePlay. If you or anyone else knows how to do this, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks!