Thread: Limit bandwidth

Default Limit bandwidth

I wanna be able to limit the bandwidth for some IP-addresses if needed.

So I was thinking I could create a bypass rule for those IP-addresses and set a custom QoS rule, giving those IP-addresses a lower priority (eg Limited, so that address can't use 100% of the bandwidth).
    This, so when one single user has to do a big download, it won't affect the other users too much.
    I know I've to create/modify those bypass rule and QoS rule every time this occurs, but that's no problem.

Is my idea as described here a good way to proceed, or is there a better / easier way?

The only trick here is that you'll also be bypassing any other protections and filters you have set up. The person you bypass will be able to do anything. Oh, yeah, and then of course there's also all the administrative overhead you mentioned.

Your time is worth money to your business. Really. The bandwidth control app isn't that expensive and will save you a lot of time here, and so should be an easy sell.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

The problem is, the Bandwidth Control limits on data-usage (how much bytes you've used).
    So not fit to do what I want.

I don't want to limit the data a user can get, just the amount of bandwidth a user max. can use...

Quote Originally Posted by GenieonWork View Post
    The problem is, the Bandwidth Control limits on data-usage (how much bytes you've used).
    So not fit to do what I want.

I don't want to limit the data a user can get, just the amount of bandwidth a user max. can use...
    It can do either, although I'm not sure I totally understand what you are trying to accomplish.

If you just want to make sure a user only uses 50KB/sec, for example, you just need to set one of the priority's limits to 50KB/sec and set that user's traffic to that priority.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Well, I couldn't find how I can limit bandwidth to a client in the Bandwidth Control module.

What I'm trying to accomplish is as follows:
    Sometimes there are users who have to download big files.
    However, they use all available bandwidth with that, leaving the other users with a pretty slow internet connection during that download.
    When this happens, I want to be able to limit the connection for that particular user (say max. 25%), leaving him with enough bandwidth for his download, while making the other users able to browse the internet in a decent speed.
    And to avoid the downloader consuming the bandwidth by using a downloader (making multiple sessions to take more bandwidth), I want to limit the connection on IP address.

So, I'm looking for bandwidth limitation, not data limitation.

Yes and bandwidth control will do this.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangler

take a look at this link
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/QoS#QoS_Priorities

and select the match in bandwidth control to limit the bandwidth as need on the user, you could adjust the qos priorities as well so for example adjust the limited more and then set that priority on your user that you hate, lol

Quote Originally Posted by rtrice81 View Post
    take a look at this link
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/QoS#QoS_Priorities

and select the match in bandwidth control to limit the bandwidth as need on the user, you could adjust the qos priorities as well so for example adjust the limited more and then set that priority on your user that you hate, lol
    And a higher-level summary of priorities here: http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/B...rol#Priorities
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com