Untanglit

Default Can BC target specific windows applications?

Can Untangle bandwidth control target specific Windows applications? I understand how it can target websites, ports, protocols, etc but can it actually target a Windows app? If so, how does it do it?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes based on forum posts and videos I've watched, but just asking here before I purchase Untangle home as this is one of the reasons for buying it.

My use case is that I have a large number of people under the same roof and during peak hours, the internet slows down to a crawl (Off peak = 100Mbit down, Peak hours = 3Mbit down). I want to limit those watching youtube / surfing the net / netflix / downloading etc. to give priority to those playing online games (as ping is important when playing PC games online, whereas a few seconds of extra time streaming shouldn't be a problem).

I'd like to set a rule giving the online game(s) as much priority as they need, which means the others should get whatever bandwidth remains.

I would have given it a test run but my 14 days was up a long time ago and I didn't get around to testing BC.

Untanglit

Okay I quickly spun up an untangle server on an old computer to get the free trial and worked out that you can do it via Application Control. Can you add specific apps/games to App control or is it just what's listed?

Master Untangler

You can add your own, but you have to have the ident. strings, which sucks.

it might be more helpful to know what you're trying to block/limit.

You are mistaken about time sensitivity in streaming. Packing timing matters a great deal there, as well. Buffering helps this, but doesn't eliminate it.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangle Ninja

Something you might want to look into is buffer bloat. There are a couple threads here but search the internet too.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdyguy View Post
    You can add your own, but you have to have the ident. strings, which sucks.

it might be more helpful to know what you're trying to block/limit.
    Hmm right. I've used the Steam Gaming application, as most games that are played are on steam, and am testing with Steam games.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    You are mistaken about time sensitivity in streaming. Packing timing matters a great deal there, as well. Buffering helps this, but doesn't eliminate it.
    Sorry, my bad, I did mean buffering in the OP. Essentially the video watching is taking all the bandwidth, and I'll be happy to reserve bandwidth for the online games (so their pings don't spike) while the only impact to those streaming videos should be extra buffering time ore reduction in quality (as they have less throughput).

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Something you might want to look into is buffer bloat. There are a couple threads here but search the internet too.
    Interesting read, but I think it's the reduced internet bandwidth causing the problem. When the internet is running at full speed (100Mbit), we can have multiple people watching 4K/1080 content while others are online gaming with a 5-10ms ping. During peak hours when the internet speed drops to 3Mbit, one person watching youtube will take online games to 200ms. Even the other day, someone was just surfing the net while someone else was playing games & their pings were spiking.

I think the problem I have is that QoS / BC remains completely ineffective, unless I manually adjust my line speed during peak and off peak. For example, if I set it to 100Mbit, I don't need QoS/BC because everything runs fine. However, when the net is running slow, QoS/BC do nothing as they think I have 100Mbit and are limiting accordingly.

I can't set QoS/BC to 5Mbit or it limits the connection speed to that - so when I am @ 100Mbit, I only get 5Mbit speed.

As a disclaimer, I did try setting QoS/BC to 5Mbit the other night, and I think it was working as expected (games went from 10ms to about 20-30 while I had two video streams going, which is perfectly acceptable) however as mentioned, I can't keep it at 5Mbit or the net speed is capped at that, even when it should be faster.