Untangler

Default How to manage uploads?

I mean, I don't have too much upload bandwidth and if anything decides to start an automated upload of something, this can have noticeably adverse effects on the connection quality.

Maybe I just don't know what to search for, but this seems to be the first time it's being asked.

I'm open to suggestions on how to handle this, and most importantly on how to set it up... I really have no clue here.

What I would like to see, is that if something (anything on the network) is uploading something (no specific protocols or applications) and uses full (high?) speed for more than let's say 1 minute the upload speed for that device would drop to safe levels or get bad priority so that it will still go on but leaving everybody else happy and fast.

Is it doable? How? Do I want to do something different that would lead to a better result?

Thanks in advance for any help

Yes that is common with highly asymmetric connections.

Yes, you want to prioritize traffic such that the more important data takes precedence.
    This way unimportant stuff can still use the upload as much as possible when your connection is idle (and finish quickly) but will always give way to more important traffic. (and not cause "noticeably adverse effects" as you state it)

More information here:
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Bandwidth_Control
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I see.

Real life example to see if I got it right: I put a rule pretty high up (after the dns one?) that sets highest priority for the traffic in the category Games (is it case sensitive?) given how it's very time sensitive. This however gives Steam way too much priority for what's essentially a bunch of random updates, so I put another rule right below the previous one that gives traffic from the application STEAM (again, case sensitive?) low priority. Sounds just about right? Any errors?

Rules are evaluated in order, so you'll want the steam rule on top since its in the category games.

But yes, effectively you use rules to set the appropriate policy on things.

If you are a home user, just using the default home profile with proper connection settings will be a good start.
    Stamp likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

So it works the opposite way as I thought as it's not adding rules as you go down, if I need a broad rule and an exception, the exception goes above. Thanks, I'll run tests as soon as I can

Yeah, I have it setup with the home preset. The problem with those is that it's harder to notice them working! Now however I know what to do and how to test for results, that's good.

you can just open the session viewer (or the events in reports) to see if the sessions are given the priority you want.