Untanglit

Default Need help creating rule for Steam downloads

Hi. I'm a new Untangle user and I am liking it so far. But here's a thing that is a problem even with my ASUS AC88U router controlling all the traffic. Anytime you download a game from Steam, which nowadays range from 30-60GB in size, the router and Untangle categorize it as game traffic and give it high priority and it consumes all your download bandwidth and effectively kills everybody else on the networks activities.
    Steam is using port 80 for content server connections but still flagged as game traffic so the rule to slow down HTTP traffic over 10MB in size doesn't work.
    Is there a way to create a new STEAM rule for large downloads to slow it down?
    Thanks.

In case anyone needs to know, I have a 100/100mbps fiber optic connection.

probably, if you look in the event log, what does the session look like. what does application control say about the session?
    if its http, look in the reports at the web request - what site is it to?

just figure out some way to identify those sessions and then add a bandwidth control rule to set a lower priority.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Ok, I got it!
    looks like all of Steams content comes from URL's of Valve####.steamcontent.com
    So I created a rule for URL is *.steamcontent.com with a priority of low.
    I placed the rule just ahead of the "HTTP to Game sites" that gives them a high priority.
    It works.
    Thanks, that was easier than I thought it might have been.

nice.

I saw in the other thread that you also have a wrt1900acs.
    I find that much much faster than the asus, especially when handling many tcp connections.
    I'm not sure why exactly, I think the asus has some driver problems.

Steam likes to open dozens of TCP connections for a single download to really max out the speed.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com