Default Variable WAN bandwidth

Hello.

My WAN bandwidth fluctuates in the ranges
    • 40 - 70 Mbps down,
    • 15 - 20 Mbps up,
    depending on what other people in the street are doing. I want to set the 'controlled' bandwidth to 40 Mbps, but permit use of the extra bandwidth when it is available.

I tried the following initial test using the wizard and rules, but it didn't work as hoped, which was to allow users of LAN_1 to have the full bandwidth available, while placing controls/caps on LAN_2 bandwidth.

1. Set up bandwidth control with 30 Mb up, 10 Mb down
    2. Select Home config
    3. No Quotas
    4. Create a new rule at the top of the list to set 'Very High' priority for LAN_1 source interface
    5. Disconnect LAN_2 to ensure it's not using any bandwidth.
    6. Run speed test on LAN_1, but it's capped at 30/10, i.e. not allowing use of the rest of the bandwidth.
    7. Run wizard again with 80Mb up and I get 68 Mb down in LAN_1 speed test.

Is there a way to create bypass rules in bandwidth control which will permit full use of available bandwidth?

Thanks

You need to set your qos priorities to the appropriate limits.
    70/20 for the WAN and then the appropriate percentages for the lower priorities to whatever you want.

more details here:
    https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/QoS
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks for your reply dmorris. I hadn't realised that I could also edit QoS settings.

Having looked at that wiki page, I'm not sure how this can help my problem. Suppose I set 70/20, i.e. my best speeds, but during peak times my bandwidth drops to 40/10. The QoS wiki page says "If the bandwidth limit is set too high QoS will have no effect at all". So at bandwidth constrained times (when I need QoS the most) it will be working under a false assumption.

On the other hand, if I set the WAN bandwidth too high it says "traffic will be unnecessarily limited to a lower bandwidth".

My hope had been that I could set it to 40/10, and then just make a few rules allowing 'privileged usage' to consume whatever bandwidth there is above 40/10. I tried setting the 'very high' level to allow a download of 200%, but nothing above 100% is allowed.

Hope this make sense. I have a feeling that lots of other home users must be in a similar situation.

Thanks

its just math

use 70/20, set very high 100%/100%, and high to 57%/50%.

Then set priority by hour or whatever you want.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Oh I see! I can also set reservations to take into account the worst case scenario of reduced bandwidth.

[embarrassed]

Thank you! Very much appreciated.