Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix limit

Untanglit

Default Fix limit

Is it possibile fix the specific limit by value?

Example. I want to limit just the upload of a specific device. I want to fix it to 40KB/s. No limits for download.
    This shoul be true if the total bandwidth is 100KB/s or 1MB/s. The limit would be kept a 40KB/s.
    Is possibile to do this?

No, only percentages.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

OK, but this is a big limit. This because if i want to "hit" a specific device or service, i can't create a dedicated priority level. If I modify a priority level, this involves all rules with this level.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    No, only percentages.
    Are you planning to add this feature? It could be very usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by peg1987 View Post
    Are you planning to add this feature? It could be very usefull.
    Unlikely since QoS is not designed that way.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Can you permit ma a small clarification?
    "Bandwidth Control " is not only QoS, but QoS is Bandwidth Control. Like "thumb is a finger but not all fingers are thumbs".
    I'm not suggesting to change you QoS system, but to add a feature (a new tab for example) that permit to manage the band in finer way.
    I don't know if i've been claire enought.

You've been perfectly clear, and once again QoS isn't designed to do that.

Your use case honestly, doesn't make any sense. I know to you it seems to make some sense, but it really doesn't.

Why do you care how fast something transfers data? Bandwidth is infinite, the problem is that in any given moment it isn't. So QoS isn't there to make sure something only goes so fast so other things can work more quickly, it's there to prioritize the traffic that needs to move now, at the expense of stuff that can wait.

So if you've got a thing that's less important, you tell the system that it is less important by assigning it to the appropriate queue. Queues are percentage based, so they can expand and contract to any speed internet connection, or multiple internet connections, without having to rework all the underlying rules. That's why the platform works the way that it does, it's the only way it can work. Because it's not about limiting something, it doesn't matter if it consumes all your connection has to give, it just cannot do that while other more important things are trying to use that pipe.

So Untangle's QoS is all about defining what's important, and setting a scale to that importance so you can ensure what needs connectivity gets it, but when things are quiet something unimportant can burn the entire connection. You don't waste anything this way, time or efficiency.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-04-2018 at 02:11 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

My case is bit different.
    I've decided to share my internet connection with a neightbour in a another appartment until they're provider activate thery're line.
    My isp gave me 10Mb down a 1Mb Up.
    I want to dedicate 2 Mb of my bandwith to them. Does't matter what they do or witch application (netflix, youtube, mail whatsapp, browsing ecc).
    If I download a large file i don't have to touch the two 2 Mb form my neighbours, like 2 different connections.
    The same thing in the case we are watching netflix in the same moment.

Ho can you solve this situation with untangle's QoS?

Master Untangler

You can't?

Quote Originally Posted by peg1987 View Post
    "Bandwidth Control " is not only QoS, but QoS is Bandwidth Control. Like "thumb is a finger but not all fingers are thumbs".
    Yes I know what you mean. What your looking for is Rate Limiting. For example on my switch at home it has a QOS tab. Under that tab are several different choices but one is Bandwidth Control. Under Bandwidth Control are more options, but one is Rate Limiting where you can specify the Ingress and Egress rates per port. It would be cool if Untangle had that type of option under their Bandwidth Control app but they don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast