Untangler

Default Ho do I put an absolute bandwidth limit on a subnet?

Must be the antibiotics Iím taking, but my brain just canít figure this, apparently, deviously simple thing...

I have a 100mbps bandwidth to/from the Internet. Iíve added a rule in Policy Manager named ďGuestĒ with the source address/network of 192.168.100.0/24 assigned to it.

Now, how do I put a hard bandwidth limit on it so they canít use more that 8mbps (up and down)?

The simple answer is, you don't. The less simple answer is, you really don't want to.

Consider, you have infinite bandwidth. What you care about, is who gets it first when the resource is being consumed. Why would you limit anything to a specific amount when nothing else is using it? Just so you have this connectivity that's sitting there useless?
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-07-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the response. But regardless of best practices or whether it's the right/wrong way to do it, is it possible to implement it on UT? If yes, how?

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Thanks for the response. But regardless of best practices or whether it's the right/wrong way to do it, is it possible to implement it on UT? If yes, how?
    It is possible, sort of... to find the answer you'll need to do a forum search. No, I'm not trying to be overly difficult, I just don't waste brain space on doing things the hard way. I honestly do not know off the top of my head how to do this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I did do due diligence (what a mouthful) with different search strings but nothing came up that remotely resembles what I want to achieve. I could've missed the topic but frankly, I'm queasy and irritated so I dropped the search and just raised the question.

Appreciate your candor. Worst case, I'll police the Guest network with "Severely Limited" priority.

With prior arrangements, I'm allowing a nearby Church to use my Guest network (through captive portal). Church goers and Sunday school students can use it for convenience so they can access their cloud accounts and whatnots. However, there are few users that tend to abuse the privilege and not pay attention to church/school. I want to throttle the Guest pipe so I don't have to limit individual categories. By doing so, I hope I can subtly discourage abusive network behavior without really making it apparent that I'm slowing down specific sites, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I did do due diligence (what a mouthful) with different search strings but nothing came up that remotely resembles what I want to achieve. I could've missed the topic but frankly, I'm queasy and irritated so I dropped the search and just raised the question.

Appreciate your candor. Worst case, I'll police the Guest network with "Severely Limited" priority.

With prior arrangements, I'm allowing a nearby Church to use my Guest network (through captive portal). Church goers and Sunday school students can use it for convenience so they can access their cloud accounts and whatnots. However, there are few users that tend to abuse the privilege and not pay attention to church/school. I want to throttle the Guest pipe so I don't have to limit individual categories. By doing so, I hope I can subtly discourage abusive network behavior without really making it apparent that I'm slowing down specific sites, etc.
    I do exactly that, i configured the bandwidth i want for a specific group of clients and i edited the qos general settings exactly with the bandwidth i needed (in %). Then i did a rule like you said and all is working fine. In my case its my wifi mobile clients vlan that are through a unifi controller and AP's

If there is another way i want also to know it for exact bandwidth setting but i never found it here. My only other way is to put a pfsense between untangle and clients to force BW limit correctly.