Untanglit

Default Quota just for YouTube

Hi, I am running untangle (13.something as not been upgraded to 14 yet) with a Home licence.

I have a media box, and my son watches YouTube on it. What I am trying to do it set up a rule / policy / quota, so that he gets say 1GB a day to watch YouTube on this media box, and after that YouTube is blocked. However as the Media box needs internet access for other things I would like this other traffic to not count towards the quota, and to also allow the media box to still access the internet after the "YouTube" quota is used up.

Not even sure what I want is possible, but so far I have set up a new child rack, and then in the parent rack added a policy rule with the IP of the media box, and send it to the child rack (which works), however I am now stuck on how to set things up so that I can quota just YouTube.

Any help / suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

I can't think of a way to manage a quota for a specific application. What I suggest is using time limitations instead. Does it matter if they what one video at 1080p or four videos at 480p? Same amount of data. I used time limitation in Untangle when children could go to entertainment sites. That way they learned to budget time as they knew when they could use those sites.
    bluechris likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Thanks. I assume you mean time limitation as in they can only use it say between 5pm and 6pm, rather then they can have 1 Hour, but spread over the course of a day.

Yes, you could do that tags and/or captive portal.

The problem will be that youtube is not integrated with google, and logging into google accesses youtube URLs.
    So its very likely that they will trigger "using youtube" by not even accessing the youtube site. Youtube is also linked by many other pages, so visiting any of these sites would trigger youtube usage.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com