Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Master Untangler Chrismal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Also, note that youtube might be falling back to 240p so video buffers at the beginning but plays fine at that rate.
    Here is my example I limited to .1 percent of my 500mbps I played a 4k video and it fell back to 240p and kept playing.

    youtube.png

    So if you do not want them on youtube, why not just block it and maybe open it at certain times or days?
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

  2. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Chrismal - thanks for mentioning this. Never thought that 240p youtube will just keep going How would I setup policy to allow youtube only at certain times of the day? I guess this can be done devices as well?

  3. #13
    Master Untangler Chrismal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Here is 1 example.
    Here we block youtube every day of the week from 15:00 to 18:30 except weekends

    Go to manage policies
    Create Policy.PNG

    Create a policy. Here we make it a child of default so all default rules are applied accept the application control wich we will be using to block youtube
    create policy 2.PNG

    Install Application control
    Install Aplication control.PNG

    Create a rule for devices you want in this policy and add the time,day and hostnames/IP/MAC here I use hostname
    rule.PNG

    Now go to APPS select the No youtube policy you created, click application control and tarpit youtube
    Select youtube.PNG

    Thats it.
    Now youtube is blocked for Chris-pc every day of the week from 15:00 to 18:30 except for weekends that is why I selected IS NOT and selected Saturday and Sunday.
    You create your own as needed


    I
    Last edited by Chrismal; 02-28-2019 at 03:09 AM.
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

  4. #14
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    23,088

    Default

    Web filter has video streaming and audio streaming categories that work very well for controlling YouTube and everything else like it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  5. #15
    Master Untangler Chrismal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Sky-Knight makes a great point

    1 reason I use application control Is that I am not blocking QUIC so web filter will have trouble blocking Google services that use QUIC.
    If you want to block categories and you have QUIC blocked use the web filter so as in the example instead of installing application control install web filter and select the categories you wish.
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

  6. #16
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    23,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrismal View Post
    Sky-Knight makes a great point

    1 reason I use application control Is that I am not blocking QUIC so web filter will have trouble blocking Google services that use QUIC.
    If you want to block categories and you have QUIC blocked use the web filter so as in the example instead of installing application control install web filter and select the categories you wish.
    My kids use Chrome exclusively, and I'm not controlling QUIC either. Youtube.com will load, but the videos will not stream. It's how I keep my kids off YouTube, because if I let them they'd be on it 24/7. No SSL inspection either.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  7. #17
    Master Untangler Chrismal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    My kids use Chrome exclusively, and I'm not controlling QUIC either. Youtube.com will load, but the videos will not stream. It's how I keep my kids off YouTube, because if I let them they'd be on it 24/7. No SSL inspection either.
    Mmm, last time I tried it videos kept playing till I blocked QUIC but will try it out again cos if you say it works it for sure does
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

  8. #18
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    23,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrismal View Post
    Mmm, last time I tried it videos kept playing till I blocked QUIC but will try it out again cos if you say it works it for sure does
    Correction, I am blocking QUIC, as well as IP only hosts, and enforcing safe search. All three HTTPs processing options are enabled too.

    That's what I get for relying on memory, I set this stuff up years ago, and all I do know is change the scheduling in the policy manager.

    I am curious as to why you'd not block QUIC, I haven't noticed a downside to that process.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  9. #19
    Master Untangler Chrismal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Correction, I am blocking QUIC, as well as IP only hosts, and enforcing safe search. All three HTTPs processing options are enabled too.

    That's what I get for relying on memory, I set this stuff up years ago, and all I do know is change the scheduling in the policy manager.

    I am curious as to why you'd not block QUIC, I haven't noticed a downside to that process.
    I unblocked QUIC coz I was getting complaints from clients saying that google assist and google APS where having timeout issues, example youtube APP will open but keeps getting spinning with no content till they close and re open the APP, Google assist does not respond as quick it takes some time processing, when I allowed QUIC evrything got snappy again for them and they never complained again, also this only effected some devices others did not have any problems.
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2