Default An unexpected side effect of FQCodel

So, I've got QoS doing its there here at my office, and I'm using FQCodel. And I've been fighting this annoying intermittent problem on my local cable node that just won't go away.

I have a 20/200 line, and when it decides to misbehave I'll drop to 5/100. CMTS has upstream problems, cable modem can't hang on.... but here's the fun part...

If I turn off QoS, my connection drops to a 3/30!

So the packet queuing system, is apparently streamlining my Internet connection well enough to help solve for a noise problem on the local node to such a degree that it's almost DOUBLING the effective connectivity I have, while the node is malfunctioning.

That's a bit trippy for me to see at 1am!
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I wonder how much better it might be with this applied. LOL
    https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...ncy-management

I'm not sure, what I am amused by is the fact that when I turned it off... I made the ISP's CMTS router go absolutely nuts. Support last night asked me to leave it disabled, as the NOC would have no choice but to address the errors it was reporting.

So by making my connection more efficient, and taking the strain off my cable modem, FQCodel actually created a situation that was exacerbating this 6 month long, intermittent, issue my ISP and I have been trying to nail down.

But I didn't cave to that pressure, I need my connection to work. And while I want to assist my ISP, it's not my job to make things easy for them. They have to maintain their stuff on their own, because that's their job.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    While I want to assist my ISP, it's not my job to make things easy for them. They have to maintain their stuff on their own, because that's their job.
    I tend to agree with that. Where it falls down is when it will directly benefit me to make things easy for them.

If I could rely on LTE data to get alerts overnight, and if I had an easy way to set up a cron job to enable/disable QoS on a schedule (or Policy Rules to move people to and from racks with Bandwidth Control enabled) so it's only alerting them when I'm less likely to care --
    such that the end result is they actually find and fix the problem much faster -- that's probably something I'll do.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Yes, but unfortunately making things easier for the ISP also means my screenconnect and RDP sessions are unusable. I do still have to work.

But yeah, you're right it's not quite as clear as I want it to be. But given I've been fighting this for six months, I'm not really certain additional functionality loss on my part will actually result in a resolution.

I'm very curious to see where this all leads, because I've never dealt with an issue like this on a coaxial network before.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 08-22-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

You could probably set up another untangle and get another connection to the modem. Not sure why that would make it easier for the isp but at least you could continue to work. Maybe start a ping or some other light load on it.

I think this is the first time in over 10 years I have seen you stumped. LOL

Oh I'm stumped all the time, the wild, wacky, and strange seek me out. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

I don't think another Untangle would help much, because the issue is the traffic itself. The pressure of my home office network doing what it does is what's generating the packets that's causing this buffer bloat meets local node failure weirdness problem.

But you see, the last time I even noticed this connectivity issue was on the 31st! It's really hard to fix something that's only broken for a few hours out of the MONTH. And only during that relatively short period does having QoS disabled help me.

So I suppose I'll just turn it all off and see what happens. I had that stuff enabled before because I was running a teamspeak server, and had a bunch of VoIP flying around. That's no longer really the case anymore so some timeouts on a few things won't matter much. What do I care if the kid's Netflix goes wonky?

Wait... WTF am I saying! That's the worst thing ever!
    NexgenAppliances.com