Default QoS/WAN Bandwidth/Bypassed Traffic

Been running into some bufferbloat issues lately that I've been addressing by decreasing my WAN bandwidth bit by bit. I am now at the point where my ~40 Mbit connection is being limited down to 25 Mbit to avoid bufferbloat.

I'm running FQ_codel and have QoS rules setup to prioritize my gaming computer by IP destination/source as Very High, and deprioritize my file server by IP destination/source as well.

Recently, I had the bright idea of popping on over to the QoS Statistics page to make sure that traffic was being prioritized correctly (over the last half year since I've installed Untangle) and I was SURPRISED to see that there was basically NO traffic that was being prioritized (just a few KB here and there across the priorities).

Did some more investigation and it looks like QoS rules only match Byapssed traffic? I didn't see any mention of this when using Untangle to address bufferbloat issues. Do I need to create bypass rules for my 2 computers' IPs? Does this mean that Untangle has not been prioritizing any of my traffic?

Sorry if these are basic questions - I don't have as much experience with enterprise level networking solutions as I'd like - would love to learn.

Only bypassed traffic is affected by QoS rules.

https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...sed_traffic.3F
    Why do custom rules only match bypassed traffic?
    Non-bypassed traffic is handled differently because it goes through the Untangle network stack - not the normal linux packet flow. You can use the Bandwidth Control application to assign priorities to non-bypassed traffic.

Bandwidth Control affects QoS for non bypassed traffic.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Only bypassed traffic is affected by QoS rules.

https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...sed_traffic.3F
    Why do custom rules only match bypassed traffic?
    Non-bypassed traffic is handled differently because it goes through the Untangle network stack - not the normal linux packet flow. You can use the Bandwidth Control application to assign priorities to non-bypassed traffic.

Bandwidth Control affects QoS for non bypassed traffic.
    Thank you - if I'm understanding correctly - these are basically 2 different ways to deal with traffic and buffer bloat? Is there any guidance on when to use which one, or should they both be used together?

Both are needed for non bypassed traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Both are needed for non bypassed traffic.
    Should I be bypassing traffic to my 2 machines in order for QoS to work at an IP level? Seeing no data being processed on the QoS Statistics page was unexpected.

If you have Bandwidth Control, use it for creating rules. QoS must be enabled.