Untangler

Default How are you using Bandwidth COntrol at home?

I have recently converted over to Untangle and have installed the Bandwidth Control application. So far it appears to be working per se. That being said, for those of you who have multiple gaming systems - xbox, ps4, switch, multiple cell phones that leverage wifi calling, streaming media services like Netflix and YouTube TV, etc. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your rules? Need to ensure the wife is happy when everything else is going on i.e. Facebook, Amazon (web) and Youtube TV need to work flawlessly or else....

No sense in reinventing the wheel if the overwhelming majority are doing something similar to prioritize traffic at home. I can just take from what everyone has done and incorporate it into my setup. I know, lazy but none the less, effective

Thanks again for your support in the forums!

Regards,

-MW

When you configure the module, there's a configuration preset selected... pick Home. That's all you need to do.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Sky-Knight,

I did select "home" however, it isnt all that encompasing if you will. What I dont see is the Apple wifi calling rule/s (UDP - IPSEC I believe), Amazon, facebook, Xbox, PS4 gaming, etc. hence the reason I was asking the larger group for what they have already done in their home environments to assist in prioritizing their requisite non-wife impacting computing experience.

The "home" selection appears to be a great start though.

Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate these forums.

Regards,

-MW

The services you just listed, are all cloud services that largely rely on CDNs to deliver themselves to your door... to make matters worse a bucket of them are all TCP 443 traffic.

So if you prioritize HTTPs, which the default home rule set places in the "high" queue, you're already doing most of the above. For the rest, there's some trial and error, and again due to CDN delivery my rules won't work for anyone outside my immediate geographical area.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I initially used the home profile also. But I do have multiple policies for device types, Appliances lke Xbox, Smart TV's, etc. are in their own policy, then personal devices, computers, IoT, Network, and Work Devices. I do have a guest policy that really buckets down the bandwidth so everyone gets a fair share when guests are over.

Work Devices have nothing but VPN access and need higher priority since ware a all working from home and that takes precedent over the entertainment. Personal devices have the option for quota's so the kids don't leave YouTube running all night long on their phones in addition to setting some priorities. Network has DNS and Time services given the highest priority.

I really enjoyed the flexibility that the platform has provided in being this granular .