Default Bandwidth/QoS Speed Issue

Hello,

As a few other threads in this page I have found that Bandwidth Control/QoS is effecting my download speed. I have tried to make sure everything is properly adjusted and have not found that my CPU is spiking to high to cause issues but there still is a speed hit being taken.

With them turned on I get ~550Mbps down and ~30Mbps upload.

I have the Gig plan from Spectrum. With Bandwidth/QoS turned off my download spikes to ~870Mbps down and ~45 upload.

Can anyone give any advice on what changes I could do to help increase the speed?

Changes? You need hardware that can actually handle gigabit. Untangle isn't light weight, anything less than an appliance with a properly offloaded quad core celeron (such as the z4) just can't do it. i3 based platforms will work too, most of the time.

Your platform just can't cut it, it's telling you that with the CPU spikes.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I stated my CPI is not spiking high. Doesn’t go above 3%. I’m running it on a zotac Xbox ci329 with a n4100 celeron, 6gb ram

Config -> Networking -> Advanced -> QoS

Turn it off

Then, SSH into Untangle and run service untangle-vm stop

Then run your tests... whatever you get there is what your hardware maxes out at.

service untangle-vm start to turn the UVM back on again.

Any performance reductions you get when you start the service are due to your configuration.

Also, that Zotac doesn't list what the NICs are, if they aren't Intel I doubt it can handle gigabit. That CPU can... just barely, if and only if the offloading is good. And that requires Intel NICs with the Intel CPU.

Note, you will NOT SEE CPU load increase when the NICs are responsible for the CPU to spike to begin with. Which is why I do not ever recommend platforms with Realtek NICs in them. They cause that problem under load, and because the load isn't in user land you don't get to see it!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 09-20-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Thanks I’ll try out that test tomorrow. I think the box has Realtek nics in it. Might be time for an upgrade. Had it for a number of years.

Ok I did the test and found that my max speed is around 896Mbps on download and 40 or so upload. I'm sure the realtek nic might be dropping 100 or so Mbps but not bad.

I did notice that if I adjust the download bandwidth in the QoS settings to 1500Mbps, my download speed now is much better over 750Mbps instead of capped at a little over 550.

Sounds like it was working correctly, you just had other things Untangle was reserving bandwidth for.

Also, what are you using to test? You should be aware that speedtest.net is NOT accurate and shouldn't be relied on, especially for gigabit connections.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I'm using my nvidia shield because that is the only wired connection I have without having to move to many things around. I am using a app built for it to run the speed test but it is not based on speedtest.net.

I do have one question, if I upgraded what would be the min CPU needed to be able to run full speed?

I was thinking one of these:
    https://www.supermicro.com/en/produc...-E102-9W-C.cfm
    https://www.supermicro.com/en/produc...0-9AP-Wifi.cfm
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-sr1630gp.html