Default QoS Upstream Only?

Kinda shocked this hasn't been asked before (or my search ability on this forum is terrible), but can QoS be turned on for upstream / downstream only? Setting this up in a home office setting with a 1400/40 connection, so I only need QoS on the WAN uplink.

Untangler

I think it only works on the wan. So what happens if you put upload speed to 2000 and download to whatever you think it should be?
    Last edited by donhwyo; 11-17-2021 at 10:48 AM.

No, it's an all or nothing thing and it's based on the WAN speed.

I'm not sure why you'd want to limit it to a direction actually, because it's only going to prioritize what you tell it to, and if you don't tell it to prioritize anything it really won't.

But with a connection that fast? You're going to want it on, if for no other reason than to get FQ_Codel working.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I don’t typically hit my max download speed, but I have pegged upload given it’s much lower - Thought (perhaps incorrectly) that having fq_codel running for both would be a waste of resources. If the hit is minimal, I have no problem with both. Thanks!

Well set your bandwidth numbers based on testing not what the ISP tells you. If the download number when QoS is off is higher than what you pay for... set it to that!

I usually try to aim for 80-90% of what the limits actually are for my units. It leaves some headroom for important things, and generally maintains a consistent experience for users.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I know with IDS/IPS trying to run it on a gigabit connection is asking way too much of a small appliance / router. Not sure why I thought fq_codel would have a problem as well.