Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Branding Manager != OEM Manager.

http://www.untangle.com/Branding-Manager

"Remove all end-user facing Untangle text and logo references from the Untangle Server"
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yeah... the Branding Manager is there to redirect the end user's questions to the support company or local IT department responsible. It isn't there to remove the word "Untangle" from everything so you can sell the product as if you made it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yeah... the Branding Manager is there to redirect the end user's questions to the support company or local IT department responsible. It isn't there to remove the word "Untangle" from everything so you can sell the product as if you made it.
    It would be nice to sell the Untangle System to a company w/o
    an IT person or department. But sometimes that's not the case.

I want to install an Untangle demo server to a potential client
    that has a knowledgeable IT guy that knows a little about Linux
    systems. The IT guys would now be free to test the UT system
    as a demo unit before deciding to purchase it. (he could easily then
    figure out the untangle brand name and product website etc.)

Will Untangle protect me from ALL potential clients(that tries to go direct to untangle) or just clients that already have purchased subscriptions thru me as a reseller??

mdh

If you're on the books as an Untangle reseller, Untangle will do its best to direct business to you. Its in Untangle's best interests to know that a knowledgeable person is handling an area, and its in your best interest to know that opportunities may come your way because you are active in a geographical area. Potential customers who "just walk in the door" may not have the time, interest or ability to install, configure and maintain an Untangle server. They basically are looking for a solution, and while Untangle is technically "a solution", its not a solution if its not installed, configured or maintained properly. That's where you come in. It may bring you extra work for a client, and if handled correctly, may bring you referral business. The customer's happy, you're happy, and Untangle's happy.

With regard to the existing IT guy, many companies are pushing people for maximum productivity, maximum return, and minimum financial outlay. There are limits to how much a person can do and do right, and if he doesn't feel like he's being paid enough, he might impose limits himself. Odds are that the IT guy either has his hands full already is "just doing his job" or he would have come up with a solution for them. Its also possible that he has expertise in desktop-based IT and is not up to speed on infrastructure and networking. You shine, and you're probably in.

I have a different view of this, (partly because I am currently one of those IT guys, but have 30+ years as a network engineer) as I also build and install asterisk servers for clients. untangle is a brand that you are supporting as a reseller, and you should be able to market that YOU are the value added to the install. Yes, they can install and maintain the free version (as I do currently) but you should be able to upsell them to both paid apps and your expertise. Removing all untangle logos and such may sound like a good idea, but then untangle would be forced into ads or something on their block pages to generate additional revenue, oh wait...
    As far as I know, I was the first in this area to implement untangle into a mixed corporate environment, and have demo'd the product to a local computer store that I am pushing to sign up as a reseller.

Seriously, branding is a good idea and should be the easiest app to sell because of the reports and all. But as a distributor you should be feeding the channel as well as protecting the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyg View Post
    It would be nice to sell the Untangle System to a company w/o
    an IT person or department. But sometimes that's not the case.

I want to install an Untangle demo server to a potential client
    that has a knowledgeable IT guy that knows a little about Linux
    systems. The IT guys would now be free to test the UT system
    as a demo unit before deciding to purchase it. (he could easily then
    figure out the untangle brand name and product website etc.)

Will Untangle protect me from ALL potential clients(that tries to go direct to untangle) or just clients that already have purchased subscriptions thru me as a reseller??
    Actually YES! If you have a client subscribed to something... it's in YOUR reseller account and Untangle will NOT sell directly. They will require the customer to contact you. If you're placing a unit for Demo, just put the unit in place with the customers details in it. They way their name and stuff is already in the system.

Still you're correct, this is why Untangle needs to stop selling direct.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Put the machine in without a video card so he can't see anything. Put a lock on it so he can't open it and put one in. Then change admin ports and ssh port etc. Then all you need will be hidden by the branding.

lol

Don

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Put the machine in without a video card so he can't see anything. Put a lock on it so he can't open it and put one in. Then change admin ports and ssh port etc. Then all you need will be hidden by the branding.

lol

Don
    3 beeps is video error in bios code?

From my perspective its big mistake to hide the source of the solution you sell.
    You must be explicit with hardware, software and services (startup, support via remote access, some admin task, etc) you sell. If not are a trust relationship between you and your customer, the bussines go to wrong way.

SMR

Hmm... let me take it a slightly different, (devil's advocate) perspective...

Let us assume that you sell the "Solution" with your entire branding on it to a company. You have auto-update feature on, and suddenly Untangle gets a new boss/CEO person that has just done 30 years in plumbing and has no idea how to even turn a computer on let alone protect an entire network. He hears about a really good idea to "fix" a problem with the solution, pushes it out, and it auto-updates the box that has your "entire" branding on it, 'as if you made it yourself'.... Suddenly Mr. Customer is calling you complaining that you broke it. How are you going to then say "Uhh... well, it really isn't my program, therefore not my fault." That probably wouldn't look so good to what someone above said as your "trust relationship" People need to know facts.

A slightly different example. We are putting a theater system in my house. I am a computer guy, but haven't stayed up to date on exactly what is good regarding projectors, a good projection screen and surround sound. So I talked to a guy who is supposed to be emailing me a quote. I told him I want every part number and ever line item on this quote that will be charged to me. Does this mean I am going to run out and look for the parts myself and purchase them and install myself? Maybe... but i would have been more sold on him if he really showed me he was a very good expert. There is two reasons to having someone else do it..
    1.) I don't have time to mess with it. If he can get it done much faster than I can, (even though I'm sure I still could do it myself), and it is reasonably priced labor, then why not?
    2.) He may or may not give me warranties and assurances that I would get from doing a self-install. Because he is an expert, and has been installing these things for a living, he should know what will be absolutely great and what may have a few problems. He has seen case scenarios and knows he will make his money by basically "promising" it will work with warranty.

That is what business is about. Providing a solution to a customer. Maybe you utilize the work of others, but you do it and also give them a more complete package that they can't refuse.. your assurance that when you switch out their systems with this device, it is going to be powerful, and any hiccups will be quickly remedied without having to do a two hour search through google.

Having the Untangle brand in there is actually a sales point. It means that with the branding manager, you can show that you and Untangle join forces and put a lot of man hours into this product to ensure it works and to maintain it. Untangle gives them the appliance, you give them the package including HW knowledge, your experience with Untangle, and how to fix any problems.
    Sam Reeves
    Disclaimer: I know nothing.. There, that should satisfy any doubt you had!
    "on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook." - Shawshank Redemption (1994 film - Andy Dufresne)

Default Steps

Quote Originally Posted by NimRod View Post
    Big D, I have been able to change the wallpaper (Untangle Logo) on the console and it is pretty straight forward. I will tell you this, every time you update the platform you will have to re-do the wallpapers....
    PM me and I will give you more details on how I do it....

NimRod

It would be nice to have this option available in the Branding Manager... I have asked for it in the past and got lots of grief over it....
    I would like to find the Steps to change the console too. This unit I'm working on will be a Live demo unit, I would like to not have to explain about Untangle.

Also Why grief over it? They will not do it? Seems that the Branding Manager should be able to do that.

Thanks a head of time,
    Sar421

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast