Untanglit

Default Will Captive Portal work for me?

Hey all, we are currently using Untangle in one part of our network, web filter, captive portal, etc. The guys here before me setup it up inline, meaning traffic passes through the box, they said you have it.

Now we have another side of our network that is like a hotel, we have around 2000-3000 users and use up a 300MB internet connection nightly...it's pretty busy.

We are going to put a Cisco Ironport into production soon...it has the ability to have users agree something but then it just continues on to the webpage requested.

We would like to redirect to our information page when they authenticate or agree to terms, can Captive Portal do this? And does it have to be "inline".

Any advise on this and setup would be great.

Chris

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I don't see any reason why not. You can set the captive portal to "Basic Message" then just put your terms or whatever into the box. The user then has to agree before gaining internet access. Yes the Untangle device must be inline with the network traffic so something like |Internet|<==>|Untangle|<==>|Internal Switch| is the usual setup.

One thing to keep in mind with that many users and that kind of internet speed you are going to need some good hardware, specifically the NICs. If you don't plan on doing any web filtering/virus scanning/etc then the rest of the hardware doesn't have to be too extreme. If you are going to leverage some of these things however make sure you plan accordingly and have enough hardware to handle the load.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Untanglit

Yeah that's the problem. It's a workers camp...people are watching Netflix, Apple TVs, download what they are allowed to...video chatting...it's pretty heavy and I'm sure our internet speed will be going to .5GB soon....that's why I don't think I would want to put it inline...I wouldn't want a single point of failure and I wouldn't want it to slow the internet speed down or something.

If you are using it strictly for Captive Portal and nothing else than just make sure you have a good set of Intel NICs. As long as you have good hardware you shouldn't slow things down at all. Sky can speak some to that I'm sure, he's done some large deployments. However your single point of failure is a valid point. There is no way to run Untangle other than it being inline. You could, however, use something like this for your NICs. That way in the event of Untangle failure you at least still have internet access, you just obviously wouldn't have your captive portal anymore.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Untanglit

Yeah I guess but I'm not sure if I would go down that route. Thanks.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Yes, it has to be in-line. Untangle is a gateway solution.
    If thats a deal breaker for you it probably won't work. Sorry.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com