Master Untangler

Default Double-Login for Chromebooks on Captive Portal

I'm trying to get a WiFi network dedicated to Chromebooks, and I want them logging in some way that I can tie a username to a device and the logs, much like Windows devices.

Through some past forum posts I was lead to believe Captive Portal is the way I want to go, so I have a test network that's being captured through a portal that has been set to user authentication via a Google Account.

I have a freshly "Powerwashed" chromebook, enrolled in my Google Apps domain connecting to that test network.

On the device's login screen, before a user is logged in, it's getting a notification "The network may require you to visit its login page."

1.jpg

When I go to add/login a new user, I'm presented with the Untangle Captive Portal screen, which I login to, then I'm presented with the standard "Sign into your Chromebook" screen."
    2.jpg

So the portal login and the Chromebook login are happening in two separate logins, rather than one.

I'm confused as to why, and how to fix this.

Actually, something to look into would be an Untangle extension or app that could be pushed to managed Chromebooks that work in tandem with the Untangle Server.

A good example of this on Chromebooks is the program LANSchool, it provides screen monitoring, teacher initiated web blocking & allowing, and some other features. The extension(s) it uses hold some config information and are deployed
    out to the Chromebooks and relay information to/from the Chromebook & a server that sits onsite at the school.

Chromebooks require Internet access to login or create an account. Chrome recognizes the captive portal so it allows for the page to open. Thus two logins as they are separate authentications.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Okay, yes, that makes sense.

Is there a way to have Untangle tie a username to a Chromebook without having a double-login? ie the same way a Windows machine is authenticated against AD to tie a Windows user to the filter log?

I've got over 650 Chromebooks and I'd really like to be able to track what individual users are doing, without having them login to two things, 3rd grade students have enough trouble with logging in to a device to begin with.

Are you using Google oauth in captive portal? I would think that would "just work" because Google will just do the auto login when prompted to login the second time

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Yes, I have my test rack set for Google oauth, that was my impression from a months ago forum conversation, I think with you, that it should just do a pass through and work.

Just so I'm clear, maybe I've missed a step, or set something up wrong, what set up to I need to do on my end to make the Google oauth portion of captive portal work?

Humor me, I do believe it to be working a-okay, but still, double-login on Chromebooks.
    When I do login to the captive portal filter logs are tied to the G-Suite account, so that all appears fine.
    If I were in a BYOD situation, it totally works, but since I have a bunch of G-Suite managed Chromebooks, not so much.
    Last edited by JeffVCS; 10-12-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Master Untangler

Any thoughts on that?

So if it should just work, and it doesn't? What can I try?

Lix
    Untanglit

Wpa enterprise, passphrase or open network?
    I use wpa e with Windows NPS as radius server, loop the NPS logs with powershell and then I post the results to the untangle api.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Lix View Post
    Wpa enterprise, passphrase or open network?
    I use wpa e with Windows NPS as radius server, loop the NPS logs with powershell and then I post the results to the untangle api.
    I'm using a WPA2 passphrase.

When I initially set up the Chromebooks I wanted to do RADIUS, but the set up wasn't working correctly, due to an incompatibility on the ChromeOS end.

I do have an NPS server running for my Windows based laptops, I may have to see if Google finally fixed the ChromeOS issue.