Untangler

Default Chromebook Double-Login Follow-up

This is a follow-up post for the original Chromebook Double-Login question:
    https://forums.untangle.com/captive-...ve-portal.html

I am experiencing the same issues as described in that post. Captive Portal is set to use Google Oauth. A Chromebook will connect to the WiFi (WPA2), and immediately be prompted to login to Untangle Captive Portal. Then the user has to actually login to the Chromebook.

I have followed these instructions and added the exceptions to Captive Portal (I already had them for SSL Inspector):
    https://support.untangle.com/hc/en-u...or-Chromebooks

However that did not resolve the issue.

It was my hope / understanding that the student would only have to login to the Chromebook, and Captive Portal will authenticate in the background automatically. Is that not true? Or is there a pass rule that I am missing?

Untangler

UPDATE:
    I tried a quick experiment. I logged into my Chromebook with a test student account. I then disconnected the WiFi and logged out my user in Captive Portal. I then re-connected the WiFi on the Chromebook.

I received the same pop-up message that the WiFi may need to present a login page. I ignored that and simply opened Chrome and browsed to a website. I saw a quick redirect to Google OAuth (but the page was blank), and then arrived at the website I wanted.

So the automatic piece is there, but is there something I'm missing at the actual Chromebook login page? Something that is still prompting the automatic Captive Portal login to appear?

Untangler

UPDATE PART 2

Got it!

OK, here are all of the entries that I had to put above my capture rule in Captive Portal.

NOTE: there are a couple additional ones that are NOT on Untangle's Chromebook list.
    Chromebook Captive Portal.png

This allowed for the Chromebook login page to appear without any WiFi login notice. Then, after the user logged in, and then browsed to any other website, the automatic authentication as I mentioned in my previous update happened.
    Last edited by MrBryce2000; 06-11-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

The only word I have for that is Medusa.

I appreciate the effort, anyway!
    MrBryce2000 likes this.

Untangler

Yes, the amount of traffic from these Chromebooks can be crazy!

How I figured it out is that I would disable the WiFi on the Chromebook, log it out of Captive Portal, then view the capture sessions in the Reports for the IP address of that Chromebook. Then, when I re-connected the WiFi and the Untangle login page appeared, I would compare the captured entries with those from the Web Filter, which provided the specific domains and URI that I needed.

I'm just glad it worked! That also means I'll need to keep on top of it in case Google changes things again.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untangler

UPDATE

I had to figure out additional entries in the Captive Portal rules in order to allow the testing Kiosk apps (for Ohio) to work. These specific rules may be different for your state, but the two Google entries should be the same.
    Screenshot from 2020-06-23 15-56-03.png