Default clueless on bench testing a backup...

Yes I read the sticky...hoping for limited snark here...

So my UT is doing some "odd" things and we'll leave it at that. Figured this was a good time to build my backup box and test out a restore keeping the production going during business hours while I'm here. But every way I turn I'm running into confusion.

1. Do I have to take my current UT offline to simply test a rebuild?
    2. I've got my 2nd UT on another test IP to the internet, I've logged in to my account (paid) and am CONFIG>>SYSTEM>>Restore...and the best I can tell is I have to download a copy to a client PC first and then remote access into the UT to upload this?

How can I simply connect to the internet to retrieved my backup from the console so I don't have to build out an entire test network/client or take my production network offline for a while?

What am I missing?

The Untangle interface is just a web browser. On Untangle #2, log into Untangle #1. Save the backup to the local file on Untangle #2. Then restore.

Note, the default restore will overwrite the IP address with the IPs from the first Untangle so there will be a network conflict. Or select restore without network settings option.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    The Untangle interface is just a web browser. On Untangle #2, log into Untangle #1. Save the backup to the local file on Untangle #2. Then restore.

Note, the default restore will overwrite the IP address with the IPs from the first Untangle so there will be a network conflict. Or select restore without network settings option.
    Thanks...makes sense enough.

Now if #1 was offline I'm still not seeing in the interface how I would download my online backup...does this always need to be downloaded from a browser and then uploaded to the UT and if so where do I find this backup to download from the cloud?

Here's what I do with these...

I setup the second Untangle and make sure it's the same version. I get my laptop out and plug into the main network, log into the Untangle I'm trying to duplicate, and pull a backup.

I plug a keyboard, mouse and monitor into Untangle #2, I fire it up and configure it as a router taking all defaults, External is connected to the main network, internal is connected to the laptop. The device gets online, pulls updates and is fully functional and accessible from the laptop I've been using. Then, when the device is updated and ready to roll, I pull the external cable off it, so now it's just the new Untangle and the laptop and hit restore. A few moments later I have a duplicate configuration. Then, it's ready to go into service, and you'd have to replace the active router to go anywhere. At this point the laptop can be used aside another desktop to compare settings if you'd like, generally I just worry about verifying all the stuff on the networking tab.

But honestly, at that point I usually just pull the power on the T1 CSU / Cable Modem / DSL Modem / fiber uplink whatever internet device, move the cables to the new unit and fire the internet equipment back up. If everything works, you're off to the races, if it doesn't you can move the cables back and reboot the internet device again.

Your Untangle cloud backups can be found at Untangle.com -> my account -> servers. Big green button that says view backups, click it, they show up in a list and you just pick the one you want to download.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-12-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Here's what I do with these...

I setup the second Untangle and make sure it's the same version. I get my laptop out and plug into the main network, log into the Untangle I'm trying to duplicate, and pull a backup.

I plug a keyboard, mouse and monitor into Untangle #2, I fire it up and configure it as a router taking all defaults, External is connected to the main network, internal is connected to the laptop. The device gets online, pulls updates and is fully functional and accessible from the laptop I've been using. Then, when the device is updated and ready to roll, I pull the external cable off it, so now it's just the new Untangle and the laptop and hit restore. A few moments later I have a duplicate configuration. Then, it's ready to go into service, and you'd have to replace the active router to go anywhere. At this point the laptop can be used aside another desktop to compare settings if you'd like, generally I just worry about verifying all the stuff on the networking tab.

But honestly, at that point I usually just pull the power on the T1 CSU / Cable Modem / DSL Modem / fiber uplink whatever internet device, move the cables to the new unit and fire the internet equipment back up. If everything works, you're off to the races, if it doesn't you can move the cables back and reboot the internet device again.

Your Untangle cloud backups can be found at Untangle.com -> my account -> servers. Big green button that says view backups, click it, they show up in a list and you just pick the one you want to download.
    Thanks and all great. To be honest the online documentation isn't as great as I would like and I assumed (my fault) that the cloud based backup would be accessable from the UT box apps or such. I think I got this licked...starting the process now.

OK kids...

got box #2 up and running, installed Backup Config App and restored my backup. All seems well but the only apps showing are the 14 day trail apps. Do the paid for apps only show up when I move the license?

If so this is fine as I have a fully functionality backup and all I will need todo is restore backup in future, reset WAN IP to proper need and then move license to get proper App?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
    OK kids...
    got box #2 up and running, installed Backup Config App and restored my backup. All seems well but the only apps showing are the 14 day trail apps. Do the paid for apps only show up when I move the license?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
    If so this is fine as I have a fully functionality backup and all I will need todo is restore backup in future, reset WAN IP to proper need and then move license to get proper App?!?!
    Correct.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yes, the restore process uses a trial license. Once the replacement is in service you use your account at Untangle.com to move your license to the new server, then the red trial words go away.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

So I got everything worked out but I noted when doing a restore I was never given an option to load the restore file w/o changing network settings as I have read in the FAQ and seen on the forums.

I did the download backup from UT#1 to UT#2 and then the restore functionality under SYSTEM.