Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

I just added the script as a group policy at logon. The computer just sits at a screen "Applying computer settings" forever. Is there a different way this script needs to be started?

Now..how do I kill the policy since it was configured localy and now I cannot login to the machine to change the settings.

Lannie

Finally had time to stop and look at an issue we had at a site where the AD connector script would cause logon to hang until it times out. It was disabled then I went back and looked into it some.

Tried to call it from a batch script at the end of all the drive mappings and what not. It ran and populated the AD connector with current signed in users but it also never closed the cmd window.

Then I found out that the script never stops and runs in the background. So I need a way to run it so it closes the CMD window after launching the script or some ideas on how to troubleshoot group policy to figure out why its timing out.

Pretty sure the AD connector is setup right but let me know of some common errors that are made and I'll double check. Similar setup at other sites seems to work with no problems.

Untangle Ninja

My only solution was to run it as a script under the All Users Startup folder.

Lannie

Default Possible solution

Ok worked with a co-worker and we found an option to run this script in stealth or invisible mode.

You basically need 3 files. The login.bat an invis.vbs and your original login script file.

login.bat
    Code:
    wscript.exe \\servername\netlogon\invis.vbs \\servername\netlogon\ADEDGE_LOGIN.bat
    invis.vbs
    Code:
    CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run """" & WScript.Arguments(0) & """", 0, False
    ADEDGE_LOGIN.bat
    Code:
    net use s: /delete
    net use p: /delete
    net use p: \\servername\public
    net use s: \\servername\someotherfolder

CALL \\servername\NETLOGON\adlogon_user.vbs
    So far this has worked ok in testing going to apply it to some test users.

Good work, i'll be keeping an eye on this as I am currently working through the same difficulties, I'm supposed to be having a conference call with Untangle later today to try to resolve this issue on my network amongst other things.

One thing I have noticed though is that the wscript process is terminating some time after logon, my debug log on the server shows a healthy amount of logged on users but as the morning progresses the list gets shorter and shorter, I understand that this should only happen if the script cannot access the Untangle server for whatever reason.

I do have Run Logon Scripts Syncronously configured in GP which has this to say about the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by GPEDIT
    Directs the system to wait for the logon scripts to finish running before it starts the Windows Explorer interface program and creates the desktop.

If you enable this setting, Windows Explorer does not start until the logon scripts have finished running. This setting ensures that logon script processing is complete before the user starts working, but it can delay the appearance of the desktop.

If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the logon scripts and Windows Explorer are not synchronized and can run simultaneously.

This setting appears in the Computer Configuration and User Configuration folders. The setting set in Computer Configuration takes precedence over the setting set in User Configuration.
    It's obvious (to me at least) this is causing the long delay in initiating the explorer shell, I think that because I have this setting configured and the logon script never terminates explorer only progresses once a predefined timeout period elapses. However I configured it this way as we used to have some race conditions with certain scripts, I need to check if this is still the case though.
    Last edited by GhostyDog; 11-03-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Well thats no good. I still haven't been able to get this applied to more than a handful of users. Ill keep an eye out for disappearing users from the AD connector.

I have set the 'Run Logon Scripts Syncronously' option to 'not configured' in our default domain policy, i'll give it a few hours but my debug page is showing a lot of users now logged in and none have dissapeared so far which is good, my Users page in the Untangle Reports is now propogated with user data.

I've also been working on a new single vbs script that captures things like whether your connected to the domain or not and only runs scripts and maps resources like printers and mapped drives (with logic based on group membership) if resources are available to run the script against, this is to replace our existing multitude of .bat and .vbs files.
    Last edited by GhostyDog; 11-04-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Why aren't you just running it as a startup script in group policy? This works really well for us!

BOFH

Start > Admin Tools > Group Policy Management > OU > Group Policy Object > Edit > User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts > Logon > Add > \\path\Netlogon\adlogin_user.vbs

No parameters

Am I setting this correctly? This works for most places but there a couple locations where it causes the login process to hang until the process times out. And its not necessarily all users at these locations either but its not 1 or 2 PCs either its random and several PC and symptoms disappear when adlogin_user.vbs is removed from a GPO that runs it at logon.

Master Untangler

Sorry if you already checked this...
    Check for GPO settings that those users are set to for script settings:

ComputerConf > Admin Templates > System > Scripts
    - Run logon scripts synchronously = I have disabled
    - Run startup scripts asynchronously = I have enabled
    and
    UserConf > Admin Templates > System > Scripts
    - Run logon scripts synchronously = I have disabled

These synch settings can cause delays if not configured the way I have it.
    This is on a test OU I am working with where my default GPO for everyone has these values not configured and as far as I know no one has issues.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast