Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

That depends on load... and I know what you're feeling. The cost is the setup of the scan itself.

I have a quad xeon 2.4 with 4gb of ram myself. Sometimes it scans near instantly, other times it takes 4-5 seconds.

You could create a no rack policy for traffic destined to microsoft's update servers...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Lannie,

I sure hope that's enough CPU!!!! That's exactly why I don't think it's that simple. I went from 6.10 to 6.20 on the same hardware, except a better/faster hard drive, and now have the problem, even if I try to bypass. I never had the problem on 6.10. My hardware is a lowly P4 1.7 with 1250 meg of RAM. Puny compared to yours....

James

The Virus database is larger, the engine was upgraded.

This means MORE load per scan. Any time you improve AV this happens.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

So turning off or removing the Anti Virus module (if possible) should make the problem go away, albeit without AV scans, correct?

Still no one has said whether a bypass rules should make it work as well.

Thanks,
    James

Yes, powering off the AV module will remove the delay at the end of an AV download.

Bypass rules can be used to bypass the UVM. Policies can be used to route traffic into the "no rack" virtual rack, or into a rack without the AV module installed.

Either approach will remove the AV check according to the conditions you've put in the rules.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Well, bypass does not fix my problem. I don't believe shutting off the Virus Blocker does either, but I will have to recheck to make sure.

James

Untangler

Just more information. I have a machine in bypass AND I have the Virus Blocker module turned off and downloads still fail. Anything specific I should try?

Thanks,
    James

Untangler

Anyway you can upgrade your ram? I know Untangle loves Ram, and the more the better. Maybe your problem here isnt CPU Utilization, but Ram...

I had to put 2 gigs of ram in my box after 6.2 came out., but im also running a P4 with a 3.4 cpu as well...

just a thought...

Master Untangler

Lol yours is better then mine in terms of process speed .

Mine is 3.2 ghz, 3 GB ram, 160 Gb hard disk. Enough for a 35 users in my company

I love untangle and i'am the boss of my company

Untangler

I could try to install more RAM or buy another beefier box, but someone else already said they have a quad processor box with 4 gig of ram and a similar problem. I use untangle in my home network, and even though I have more PCs than the average person, I don't think the load is high since most are off or not being actively used.

So I'm hesitant to go spend money on the problem when there's no definite indication that it's the problem.

Anything I can do to show whether RAM is the issue?

James

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast