Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Well it isn't an issue...

While I'm sure improvements can be made to the implementation of the AV module. Just having the thing running is going to impose that delay. More RAM and CPU just means more scans can be run before the unit slows down even farther.

Slow boxes + the AV module = corrupt or failing downloads.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Just as a test, I tried doing a download from my untangle box. Loaded the client which runs firefox. Then I tried to download a 2.3 gb centos 4.8 iso file from one of the mirrors. It got to 172 meg and died. That is typical of what I see on large downloads. Of course this does not seem to match the get to 80% for the anti-virus module. Not sure if this informations amounts to anything, but figured I'd share it.

James

If that is the case you have something else going on.

Untangle's rack defenses are really rather anal about NOT doing jack to stuff originating from the Untangle server itself.

If you can't download a file on the UT server itself, you have a bad network card, a router upstream playing with things, or something else equally borked.

The vast majority of the stuff I can think of that could cause that is actually outside of Untangle.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Ok, that's what I was thinking too. Maybe I'll swap out the network card and see if that fixes things. I may not have the same one, so hopefully it's not a big deal to put a new/different card in.

Thanks,
    James

Untangler

I swapped out the external NIC. It's connected at 100Mb/s full duplex. Ran another test from the UT console. Started downloading a 625 meg ISO. It was downloading at 425KB/sec and died at 56.2 meg. I guess the next test will be to connect a machine directly to the internet and try the same download.

James

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jpifer View Post
    I swapped out the external NIC. It's connected at 100Mb/s full duplex. Ran another test from the UT console. Started downloading a 625 meg ISO. It was downloading at 425KB/sec and died at 56.2 meg. I guess the next test will be to connect a machine directly to the internet and try the same download.

James
    That is good idea and for testing i would do the same could also be problem with cables so keep that in mind. what cabling you using cat5-e ?

Untangler

Alright, here's where I'm at. The good news is it's definitely NOT an untangle problem. I connected a WinXP laptop directly to the cable modem and it also stalled on a large download.

For good measure I also used a brand new CAT5 patch cable, that was still in it's plastic. Tried another iso download from a different centos mirror. Also stalled.

I called Time Warner and they still wanted to blame OS, even though it happens on multiple OS'es, multiple machines/NICs, and multiple patch cables. Their "tests" still showed everything working ok on the modem while a download stalled. Plus everything else still seemed to work fine, ie web site, mail, ssh, etc.

I have a request in to swap out the cable modem. At this point I'm not sure what else it could be.

Thanks,
    James

It's called "power boost" or whatever crap your local cable company calls the stupid local proxying trash they have installed. If the cache gets out of sync all downloads start having issues.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

So is there anything I can do about it?

Master Untangler

well you could use a direct cable to untangle external interface , i have threw my cable modem and just connected to my patch panel with RJ 45 connector and now my internet is smooth then before. also depends on cables, NIC and etc. ISP side is out of my reach since they dont answer my calls.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast