Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Untangler

TW spent four hours out here yesterday. They swapped out the cable modem and they are monitoring. I was finally able to successfully download three things on two separate laptops while directly connected to the cable modem. They ranged from 300 to 650 meg. I still have problems through untangle AND directly from untangle console.

alhadi, I'm not sure what you are saying.

TW claims that "power boost" is not the problem.

I guess I will have to look at updating my untangle hardware, although I'm still not 100% convinced that is the fix. Interesting that going to speedtest.net while directly connected I get close to my 7x2, but through untangle I only get about 4x1. So maybe the hardware is part of the problem.

James

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jpifer View Post
    TW spent four hours out here yesterday. They swapped out the cable modem and they are monitoring. I was finally able to successfully download three things on two separate laptops while directly connected to the cable modem. They ranged from 300 to 650 meg. I still have problems through untangle AND directly from untangle console.

alhadi, I'm not sure what you are saying.

TW claims that "power boost" is not the problem.

I guess I will have to look at updating my untangle hardware, although I'm still not 100% convinced that is the fix. Interesting that going to speedtest.net while directly connected I get close to my 7x2, but through untangle I only get about 4x1. So maybe the hardware is part of the problem.

James
    most probaly hardware then. try to change a network card and see if the results shows any better. Only for testing

Untangler

Swapped out the external nic today. Something interesting I found. While untangle was still booting up, with the progress bar about 2/3 the way across, the connections came back up. I ran the tests at speedtest.net and was getting the expected speed, close to 7 meg down and 1.5 up. Once untangle finished loading, that dropped to 4 meg down and less than a meg up.

I will wait for 7 to get released to see what happens, but it certainly looks like I need a better box for untangle. My 1.7 Ghz with 1250 meg of ram apparently isn't enough.

Thanks,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by jpifer View Post
    Swapped out the external nic today. Something interesting I found. While untangle was still booting up, with the progress bar about 2/3 the way across, the connections came back up. I ran the tests at speedtest.net and was getting the expected speed, close to 7 meg down and 1.5 up. Once untangle finished loading, that dropped to 4 meg down and less than a meg up.
    This is dead giveaway evidence that you need more horse power.

The routing and bridging done by untangle is actually the linux kernel. The Untangle VM does the rack related stuff. There is a period during boot that packets will pass but aren't filtered by the rack.

You can test this any time by dropping to console and stopping the UVM.
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/untangle-vm stop
    Then of course you can restart it with
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/untangle-vm start
    I'm unsure if the QoS is turned off with the VM... but if you want to get the Untangle software out of the way and test the hardware this is the way to do it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Default slow internet

ran into a problem like this except files were not being chopped. check your qos settings. cut the max download speed by 1/3.

Untangler

My problem is definitely qos. Turning qos off I immediately get the expected results from speedtest.net and my first try at a 600+ meg download did not stall.

I would like to use qos since I have an ipphone for work, and also MagicJack. Could hardware still be a factor with QoS enabled?

My connection is 7x2 and my qos settings are:
    Limit Download To: 80%
    Limit Upload To: 95%
    Ping Priority: Normal
    ACK Priority: High
    Gaming Priority: Normal
    Uplink Bandwidth (6500 kbps download, 1750 kbps upload)

For now I will leave qos off and see how my phones do.

Thanks,
    James

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567