Default Actually had to reboot UT today !

So earlier today (around noon) I had an older machine with an old install either have its TCP/IP stack go nuts, or the NIC went nuts, not sure which. Long story short, (apparently) the switch ran out of MAC address memory, and started broadcasting to everyone, or the old computer was sending to the network broadcast address. either way, it shut the network down until i unplugged it from the switch.

at this point, everything seemed OK.

This evening (about 19:30), things were going OK. I was connected by VPN to the network and things seemed to be fine. on the way back to location, I get a call saying that no one can connect to the internet. I come in assuming that the old box has been acting up again. It has not. I open up my laptop and don't get an IP address. So I go to a machine that already has one. it happens to have steam running on it, and steam is working just fine. that's about it though. no new IP leases, no DNS. I can ping to external addresses. UT was reporting normal ram usage (it has 2 GB).

I reboot untangle, and things are all happy again. for now.

my UT box is an intel server board with ECC ram, and raid 1. it has been up and running for many many months until this day.

It is running Build: 6.0.2~svn20090105r21174release6.0-1sarg

I hadn't upgraded to the latest version as I was out of town for a few months and didn't want to walk someone through recovery over the phone were something to go wrong.

This is the first issue I've had with UT that I have not caused.
    Comments and opinions are welcome. So is speculation.
    Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 09-17-2009 at 07:20 PM.

bump for comments