Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Some clarifications.

1.) Our longest support calls *by far* are for OpenVPN issues. Based on that data point, I shudder to think what our IPSEC VPN support calls will be like.

2.) IPSEC is a standard. With many variables. That's why Microsoft's IPSEC client can't talk to most any IPSEC device except Microsoft servers. That's why you have about 15 options to tinker with when connecting two IPSEC devices together.

We do not have a "bone" to pick with IPSEC, and don't dislike the technology, it's just a big project, and we're not a big company, so we need to pick our big projects carefully.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I like how PFSense did their VPN, both PPTP and IPSec.....please take a peek at it. It works well with existing hardware at clients sites. Just a middle of the road compatible IPSec system would be great.
    Unfortunately, pfSense is BSD. So it doesn't translate well to our platform. Is their UI any different that monowall's for IPSEC? I don't think most of our users would know what to do with the monowall UI. (I'm not talking about the people on the forums, the majority of our users don't come here)
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

From a support point of view, I agree....it should be as the rest of the products are.

*Open source package...you're on your own, or use support forums. Similar to what I do with other *nix distros

*Want support...such as you're implementing this product in a production environment where quick resolution and uptime is important? Then like anything else, opt for the pro package or some support option so that you can call for support.

I don't see why support for IPSec VPN should be any different from the firewall/spam blocker/port forwarding/DNS/OpenVPN/RemoteAccess/etc etc modules.

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    Unfortunately, pfSense is BSD. So it doesn't translate well to our platform. Is their UI any different that monowall's for IPSEC? I don't think most of our users would know what to do with the monowall UI. (I'm not talking about the people on the forums, the majority of our users don't come here)
    I was referring to the interface...how it's setup in the web admin, as far as what to fiddle with for settings. m0n0s interface was quite similar.

Yes but the implementation is ENTIRELY different. Configuring FreeBSD to operate as a bridge, or as a router, or using IPSec in just about any iteration is not only completely different, but fundamentally easier than linux.

Heck, start googling around for IPSec and Debian.... I defy you to find current documentation. The last succinct tutorial I found was dated back to Woody!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I just had another discussion with a potential customer that IPSEC is a must for Iphone access so Yes a paid IPSEC solution would be great!
    Or an OPENVPN client for the Iphone

Default easy solution

Translux, open port 1723 in UT and put an old win2k server with remote ras (PPTP).
    You are the CIA? The nasa? need more security?

I win the reward? :-)

regards

Master Untangler

I know but I just want one box to rule them all
    Oh wait that's I line from some movie

Default iphone/ Rim old dead thread?

I noticed this thread died out quite a while ago....

Is that because everyone is using Gmail for the iphones and Rims now?

Re - IPSEC ....

Agree with developers and one other user....

Its another big proprietary hassle, so if you do find the time to support it ... add it as a payable item to the rack!
    Last edited by zarteg; 11-04-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: ipsec
    Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

What's wrong with a pacer? I drove an AMC concorde for many years!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast