Master Untangler

Default untangle limiting my download speed

http://www.speedtest.net/result/576780242.png

Untangle is only giving me download speed 101kbps speed , is it possible for untangle to give me more good speed ?

It's possible, but more details are needed.
    How are you measuring your download now?
    What was your average "tested" download speeds from your ISP before you installed Untangle?
    What is the hardware Untangle is running on?
    How is Untangle installed into your network?
    Did you fiddle with QoS settings in Untangle...is it on/off?

Master Untangler

well recently i upgraded my internet from 512kbps to 4mbps connection speed

before my download speed was 61.2 kb/ps

now the speed is around 101 kb/ps (downlaod)

upload seed in total is 512 kbps

My network setup is:-

Internet Direct Cable >> Untangle >> Switch >> Access Points >>> Wired & Wireless Nodes #55

Hard Ware specs

3.2 ghz dual core
    3 GB ram
    160 GB hard disk
    1 build in NIC (realtek gigabit ethernet)
    1 PCI NIC (us-robotics gigabit ethernet)

Total 2 NIC

Did not play with Q0s and its off by default.

please advice

Have you tried connecting a PC directly to your cable modem and benchmark? Yeah I know, scarey connecting a PC right to a cable modem without a hardware firewall..just ensure it's up to date, firewall is on, run a few quick online tests. I wouldn't point the finger at Untangle without knowing that you modem was provisioned correctly and that your are able to actually get the promised speeds.

I have quite a few clients with much larger networks on 10 and 20 meg internet connections, and they are running Untangle of far older hardware than you have...I'm talking early Pentium 4 2.4 and 2.6 GHz hyperthread (yeah Northwood) processors with just 1 gig of RAM...and no slowdowns.

YeOldeStonecat - I am in that boat, I have a P4 2.4ghz with 1gb of RAM on a small network. I had experienced some issues like alhadi is mentioning, to cure my issues (after I did pretty much exactly what was said above by connecting a PC direct to the modem to benchmark), I had to swap out my realtek NIC's for intel pro 100's, once I did that, my speeds jumped from about 1/4 speed to full download speeds (the ones I obtained from my benchmark bypassing UT direct to the modem).

I would first benchmark, but if the modem was provisioned correctly, then my first check would be the NIC's, there are a ton of posts of speed issues, and a lot of them that I have read are cured by replacing the nic's with Intel ones.

Yeah the hardware I use for my clients, the UT box usually has Intel onboard NIC, and I install a secondary Intel or 3COM PCI NIC. Or on the server hardware they have which I've installed UT on, they'll have onboard Broadcoms...not my favorite NIC, but UT works OK with it.

I don't have any Realtek nics in service, they're usually considered "budget" NICs, kinda like the "winmodem" of the NIC world.

Yes, Realtek network interfaces are the king of software based network interfaces.

Software means CPU and ram load just to operate the driver, when combined with the heavy CPU/Ram load of Untangle... you're just asking for trouble.

Intel Pro100m cards are cheap, and all over the place. They may be a desktop adapter, but they perform worlds better than anything realtek based, including the gigabit realteks.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Have you tried connecting a PC directly to your cable modem and benchmark? Yeah I know, scarey connecting a PC right to a cable modem without a hardware firewall..just ensure it's up to date, firewall is on, run a few quick online tests. I wouldn't point the finger at Untangle without knowing that you modem was provisioned correctly and that your are able to actually get the promised speeds.

I have quite a few clients with much larger networks on 10 and 20 meg internet connections, and they are running Untangle of far older hardware than you have...I'm talking early Pentium 4 2.4 and 2.6 GHz hyperthread (yeah Northwood) processors with just 1 gig of RAM...and no slowdowns.
    benchmark gives me full speed when i put a direct cable to my pc . i dont have cable modem , it is a direct line cable RJ 45 comming from our isp room to our office. its a business broadband unlimited package connection. i already bought intel gigabit 1000 MT PCI for just 13.99 $ , just want to confirm that will it work good in untangle ?

thank you sir for helping me