Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by WebFooL View Post
    Hi brent,
    I do belive that the Untangle dev team likes feedback but this thread headline is "new pdf emailed reports (feedback please)"
    I feel that there are other threads where your feedback could have gone in to..

But than again i might just be grumpy.

Ok then, I will state my feedback accordingly. the new pdf's are not as useful as the old reports. And I know that if I say something like that then everyone will say "Use the CSV" only problem is guess what. I have over 1000 instances from two day ago and so it only just shows me two days ago. Why, because it isn't a daily report. Maybe this is my fault for using Excel 2003. But why not have the choice of an outputted detailed pdf's or a CSV.
    Last edited by brent; 10-08-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Clarify the meaning of choice

Untangler

Default How do I find this user? It was easy with a pdf

I have user(s) sucking up 1.57GB via celebrity-thumbs.com. In the old days I could use Find in the pdf document and pinpoint the user(s) in matter of seconds. Now? I have to:
    1. export the Web Filter All Events tab, over 25MB.
    2. have Excel tell me "File not loaded completely"
    3. try to sort the document (which btw has no column headings) by site, which doesn't work and can't add a row for headings bc Excel seems to have reached a limit of 65536 rows.
    4. search for the URL
    5. look at each hit and see if it's one user or more than one user.
    6. go back to the server and click on Hosts to find the users hitting that site.
    7. export the All Events csv file for those users.
    8. change the date field to something that makes sense to management.
    9. add column headers to the document so it means something to management.
    10. print 183 pages of individual hits instead of a 10-12 page summary of hits/site for that user.
    11. Explain why no other work is getting done.

See a problem here?

Suggestions:
    -make it easy to find who's been going where.
    -give me a report that totals webhits per site per user
    -add column headings to the csv file
    -make reporting on an optional daily basis (keep the file under Excel limits)
    -go back to having UT Server generate the reports

This is a heck of a lot more time and effort, no? Anyone here have a lot of extra time or ADDING staff these days?

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    Why, because it isn't a daily report.
    Thanks for the feedback brent - added!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

AgentNul,

This is about the pdf reports specifically.

I think you'll find these web reports much more navigable once you give them a try.
    That information is much easier to see. Unfortunately, you can't see beyond the top 10 web sites for each user, where as before you could see them all - that will be fixed.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

What I gather from here is.

PDF Reports

Daily reports

They should be daily only.
    Daily reports should be the previous day's data only.
    Not the previous 7 day's data.
    These should also be detailed or optionally detailed.
    I for one do not see the point of not having them detailed as they will just be the same as the weekly report except only cover one day.
    I feel the weekly report should stay as a summary, basically turn the current 7.0 daily report into the weekly report that gets sent once a week.

Weekly reports

They should be 7 days of data, I was going to say reintroduce the weekly reports, but there already here.
    we're getting weekly reports 7 days a week.
    You should keep the current daily report and make it into the weekly summary report. Which is what it is. It is not a daily report. It should be sent weekly rather than daily.
    Then introduce a real daily report to only show the previous day's data and have it detailed.

There should be options in the reports.
    We should be allowed to select if we want weekly or daily reports or both and on what day we want to schedule the weekly report to be sent.
    Daily report should be detailed.
    Weekly report should be summary as we all ready have all the details of the week. By looking at the 7 daily reports of the current week.

I guest detailed PDF reports need to make a come back.
    Need to be similar to the old ones. Doesn't need to be old reporting engine. As I'm sure the same info is still in the new reports it just needs to be out putted in the PDF. But as stated above, it should only be detailed on the daily report not the weekly report.

Web interface
    I know you asked about the PDFs only. But I feel they should be consistent with each other. Just the web front end should give us all the data.

I want to see the days data I select from the drop down list and just that day's data.(Similar to the daily PDF only shown that days information)
    Not the past 7 days data. As lets face it, is it really necessary to always show me 7 days data?
    I don't see the point of always having to see 7 day's of data.
    Not to mention the fact that it only shows me the first 1000 events of the 7 days, so if there is more than a 1000 events on day 1 of the 7 days.
    It doesn't go past the first day unless I download the CSV sheet, then filter it to get the information.
    Having real daily reports that only show the 1 day of events, will cut out the hassle of the 1000 event limit.
    It may not do it for everyone. But it should do it for people running it in a smaller business environment.

You need to bring back a reporting only user account. This way people can give that to other members of the company or staff. Train them on the reporting interface. Which in return will hopefully start to draw people away from the PDF reports so in future versions you may even be able to drop them as they become less important.

If you think about it at the minute. What do I have to do to give management a detailed report? They sure as hell can't get it from the PDF that now gets sent out. I have to dig out the info via the CSV. Format it too something understandable. Then send it too them.

All achievable via the web interface. If I had a user account that would let me give them access to reports only. One can only think of the damage an untrained user could do with an admin account.

My views

I do love the new reports and I do love the information we can get from them. I just think you have shot yourselves in the foot. As the e-mailed reports were so much better in the previous version.

A lot of products don't email you reports. So they can get away with the web based reporting, You guys on the other hand have focused a lot previously on PDF reports. Therefore removing this from your users hasn't went down as well as you guys have hoped, thus taken the lime light of how good a job you actually have done on the web front end.

Last point is, The reporting script you guys offer now:
    That should be built in to the reporting module. Maybe via an advance option(like other modules have) A way to schedule the archiving of reports to a network drive or even an external USB drive/device. So we can all keep more than 30 days of reports. I see this as critical. Only being allowed to keep 30 days of data is madness. People need more than the last 30 days. I'm always required if asked to check up on a users surfing history and compile a report to check a certain month. Could be anything up to 6 months ago to 12 months ago.

I hope this helps, I like the new web front end in the reports a lot. But as above. You have relied a lot on PDF reports in the past and this is why your new reporting module isn't getting as much credit as I feel it deserves.
    Last edited by joemailey; 10-08-2009 at 11:46 AM.

joemailey,

very well stated feedback - I really appreciate you taking the time to write that.
    outstanding!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    AgentNul,

This is about the pdf reports specifically.

I think you'll find these web reports much more navigable once you give them a try.
    That information is much easier to see. Unfortunately, you can't see beyond the top 10 web sites for each user, where as before you could see them all - that will be fixed.
    I have given them a try, that's how I know that I can't find what I need without all those steps. Navigable isn't what's helpful, anymore than aeroglass makes for a better OS. Useful is what's helpful, and as stated above, the web reports aren't useful.

If you're just looking for feedback regarding the pdf, I think the general consensus is (as joemailey said) "detailed PDF reports need to make a come back..."

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    joemailey,

very well stated feedback - I really appreciate you taking the time to write that.
    outstanding!
    I'm glad you took the time to read it.
    I updated it a bit more and tried to lay it out better as I was just typing what was coming in to my head. As I went on

As I said in my last post, the web front end is extremely good. It is a major improvement. It has given us users more access to all the events of the users via Ip address or Username if you are running the AD connector.

I think people will benefit from it once they get use to it.
    Only issue is in version 7, it has force it out to users rather than making it an option. Taken away something that has been a major credit to people using the reporting module was never going to go down well.

I'm guessing that it is the users fault just as much as the untangle teams fault. As it always came across as us the users wanting a better reporting system. But I don't ever remember many users making it clear how much they loved the detailed PDFs. Which we all now know how important they really our to people.

I never used them if I'm honest, I'm just trying to relay the points across using the information I've picked up reading the other threads. So it is more constructive, rather than a complaint.

From my personal experience releasing something which you have created and think is going to really excite people and then to have those people you were trying to help complain so much is extremely hard to take. I just hope you can fix it. But to do so I think the Reports Only User is a must. It will create the bridge for people to move away from PDFs and start using the web front end. Maybe some stage down the line. PDF report may not even be required. But you have to provide both and give users time to adjust to the new web front end before you can contemplate removing the detailed PDF report.

Untangler

Lightbulb How about making the Top Ten lists clickable bookmarks?

Ok, so you're tired of hearing from me, but this is an idea that YeOldeStonecat mentioned in another thread so I thought I'd put it here:

On the Web Filter pages, what if when you click on one of the the domains in the Top Ten (soon Fifteen?) Websites (by size or hits) it takes you to pages later on in the pdf file that show who the users of those sites were and what percentage each user was.

[Wrong thread I know, but the same action should also occur on the web-based report page, instead of taking you to the site itself.]

I want the previously existing ability to email reports every week or month. I have no use for daily data. I am responsible for a dozen Untangle boxes - and don't have the time or interest to review daily reports. Weekly or monthly data is plenty.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast