Thread: Support Rocks!

Default Support Rocks!

A friend of mine recently upgraded his dental office management software which required a complete redesign of his network infrastructure. He hired a local company to upgrade his two offices from a peer-to-peer network to a Windows server domain and as part of the quote a couple of Fortigate appliances were included to provide UTM and a VPN connection between the two offices.

My friend knew that I had been using Untangle at my office and convinced his support guy to use Untangle instead of the Fortigate's (saving $1000+ in initial cost as well as the $600/year for updates). His support guy wasn't too familiar with setting up Untangle and so my friend called Untangle and it sounds like they went *way* beyond the call of duty helping him with the initial setup and connecting the two offices with OpenVPN, including staying on the phone with him 40 minutes past closing time. He wanted me to pass along his

This was my experience as well when I had to contact support during my initial setup last year. I haven't had to call support since then and hopefully I won't have to again since it seems like Untangle just keeps chugging along, but I love having the peace of mind knowing that if I do need help, support that actually cares is just a phone call away.

to me Support is what makes a company, if you have responsive community and good support i will take your product any day.

This is one reason why i came over from PFSense, the software is great, but the community has the often found "supeirority complex" attitude towards new people, as if they expect everyone to know how to compile kernals and know every terminal command by heart and if not, to bugger off.

Master Untangler

I guess it's a matter of personal experience. My experience with UT forums has always been excellent. There's always somebody there answering your questions. I've frequented some other open source guys forums (namely trixbox) and believe me nobody ever even bothered to answer any of my questions except when I'd say something bad in frustration and they would take the flame in no time.

Well they are forums. UT has done a good job preventing the more hostile elements from taking root.

We've had them here...

Heck at times I was one of them! They made me promise to be good when they gave me the little green ribbon... so I guess you can say I was bought off by some colored pixels! :P

The only time my blood pressure really gets up is when people just give up. UT is an amazing product, it isn't perfect, and NOTHING is ever going to work if you simply give up on it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

I'm on spammer alert on a regular basis, and not above sending someone a PM if I think they're going overboard with attitude. We all want the forums to work and to provide the support that people are looking for...except for a few people who want us to buy their $29 Gucci shoes and $39 Rolex watches.

mdh

Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    This was my experience as well when I had to contact support during my initial setup last year. I haven't had to call support since then and hopefully I won't have to again since it seems like Untangle just keeps chugging along, but I love having the peace of mind knowing that if I do need help, support that actually cares is just a phone call away.
    And I'll still meet you at the Jack in the Box around the corner from you if you ever want to harden your arteries a bit!

Steak and egg burrito is the breakfast of champions

mdh

Breakfast is the ONLY meal I look forward to...unless someone says the word "cheesesteak." That's also in San Carlos, by the way.