Unhappy Site name vs IP Address in Web Filtering

Hi,

Web filter is fine, but when I put IP address of site, its open in web brower.

Tell me about

Site name vs IP Address in Web Filtering

Regards
    Vishal

You will need to enter the site name. So, to block http://google.com then you will enter google.com in the web filter.

You can block by IP in the firewall.

Welcome to the forums.

Untanglit

Same question here,
    How to white list a URL with IP? I find that don't working. I am using transparent mode.( I just asked in new Thread....)

Not sure if my question it the same or if I am misreading the OP.

Scanning the last few daily posts I have found that some of my Cherubs (Cherubs = high school students with ambitions to get around untangle) seem to have discovered that they can (if they can find it) enter the IP address of a blocked site and get to the site that way.

Is there a way (I know it can be done in Dan's Guardian) to tell untangle to block/reject numeric IP URL's.

Thanks.

Glen

Untangler

if your students have access to the command prompt on your computers, they can ping the offending sites, and get their IP address.

The only way I've seen to get around the address/ip issue is to block the IPs manually..

sucks

Unhappy

Unfortunately, the main reason I have had to install the Untangle box is to filter students' personal laptops (and PDAs, iPod Touches, etc.) as I had no way to force them through a proxy on their personally owned machines. Fortunately, very few seem to have the savvy to use command line.

Maybe this should be a feature request. As I said, in Dan's Guardian, which I use for my wired, managed machines, there is a simple setting that basically says, "if a client requests a site by IP, BLOCK it"

mdh

Bug 3580 has already been filed on this. No commitment yet on when it will be incorporated.