Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash and Burn!

Default Crash and Burn!

It's amazing what a teenage boy can do to a computer...

A client has a super bundle to keep things under control in his home and the brat manages to figure out that he gets a few minutes of unfiltered internet access if he hits the reset button on the box.

Needless to say, the database is hosed.

So I figure... heck I'll just reinstall! And that is where I've apparently gone wrong. For starters the moron that built this box, figured it would be a brilliant idea to just leave out a CD-ROM. So back to the office I go to toss in my spare and fix this mess.

Install went fine, box is online, but can I get the Untangle back end to transfer the subscription? NO FREAKING WAY!

Simple process right? Now I have two super bundles in my subscription list, one is a complete duplicate and the subscription for my main office box ISN'T SHOWING UP.

And of course, it's 6pm and Untangle is closed. I'm frustrated and I'm going to have one rather upset client shortly when I inform him he doesn't get Internet this evening.

So in short, my account is now a complete mess and I don't know why.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

well I would guess I would bet the disk borked, try putting in a new HD in the clients computer.

If the kid kept cold resetting the box, then the disk never got to cleanly unmount and the disk probably is damaged. That would be how you probably can't get to the back end of their UT box.

As far as the subscription thing goes, I have no idea where to begin.

To fix your frustrations you could beat the kid till he tells you what he did (assuming anything). As far as so that won't happen again, disconnect the restart button. This will confuse the kid.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

No that's the odd thing...

The client's box is working normally, it just won't install the purchased modules.

My box is working normally, but when I go into the console and log into the store the web site doesn't recognize it as an untangle.

My subscriptions are just all wrong. I have two ID's for the client, the old and the new, and my box here isn't showing in the list.

Near as I can tell... I may have transferred the subscription from my main box to the client's new box by accident... but because the back end isn't recognizing my box I can't move it back.
    NexgenAppliances.com

is dropping your box an option?

or is there no backup?
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Nope I can't drop my box, it's defending a live web server with clients on it. Besides, it's working fine...

At this point I can't figure out where my subscription went so if I pave it, I'll just be SOL until support opens in the morning.
    NexgenAppliances.com

3 words, 24 Hour Support!

I wish I could be of more help but their subscription service eludes me.

That sucks man. Just ironed out most the wrinkles with our subscriptions took nearly 2 weeks to get it all sorted out . Think we still have duplicates when I look at the subscription page, I just pretend there not there, we're not getting billed for em at least. Is installing the trials an option until tomorrow?

Can you install any modules? There was another post recently where the aptitude program somehow got damage and a repair command had to be issued before the modules could be installed.

http://forums.untangle.com/installat...nstalling.html

Not sure if that helps. You usually know what I do and then some Sky-Knight.

Yeah I'm just lazy. The two boxes are fine, I was just a bit overly stressed out for some reason. Support will get the remaining stuff fixed in the morning and life will go on.

Heck, it gives me some time to run a nice battery of tests on this hardware... this machine is a nice box. And, I'd be curious to meet the guy who built it. It is rather obvious he stole some of my notes from these forums to get the job done. :P

All in all the unit seems fine, just this el cheapo Seagate 7200.7 drive slowing things down... really why does Seagate even sell these POSs?

APT is running fine and accesses are normal. It seems that the subscription moved only part way... so unless I reinstall the box to get a new UID it's stuck. Again, I'm lazy and support will sort it in the morning.

Oh, and Untangle doesn't have 24/7 support... I think I'm the closest you can get to that. :P
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Gee, thanks for calling me a moron.

Not only that, you're punishing the client with no internet for what his kid's done? I mean really you don't have a spare wrt lying around to just through in there for nat? What kind of support do you offer, jeeeezzzz.

There is only one response to that....

As for the punishment line... that is kind of the point. This kid is trouble and he's messing with the wrong tech... and his Dad is having a FIELD DAY watching this unfold.

So how's that support? Parental support!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-22-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast