Default Request:WINS for OpenVPN

Sorry if this is already a bugzilla ticket.

It would be really nice if the OpenVPN GUI had a WINS boxes under the DNS override boxes in the advance tab.

It is the one thing that is stopping me from using Untangle as replacement for our PPTP and IPSEC VPNs
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Smile is this already a request?

This would be huge. This would make my life so much easier...

also adding samba as a package would be nice..

Erm... WINS is dead... it's time to move on. Properly configured DNS duplicates this functionality in all situations in which it is useful.

Unless of course you're telling me you still have NT 4.0 and Windows 95 still in service?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Yeah, i have to agree here, WINS has been deprecated by Microsoft since, what, 2000?

I'd suggest distributing an LMHOSTS file to your remote PC with the openvpn client for those Windows 98 and older machines.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Since I am the original creator of this thread, I though I would clear the air on this.

When I wrote this thread I had a very limited understanding of how DNS worked and how WINS was no longer required.

After reading some things online I retract from my original idea of needing WINS with in OpenVPN.

But there should be a need for space to enter a domain suffix for the remote clients.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Actually that is already there, the DNS suffix configured on the Untangle server in the hostname tab is pushed to the OpenVPN client.

The weird part is, it seems to only work when it feels like it... I'm hoping that has to do with the RC status of the windows client more than anything. Now that we have an officially released windows vista/7 capable client, I expect things to get better in this realm.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Erm... WINS is dead... it's time to move on. Properly configured DNS duplicates this functionality in all situations in which it is useful.

Unless of course you're telling me you still have NT 4.0 and Windows 95 still in service?
    Not when you deal with macs that are retarded when it comes to DNS. They at least register with WINS properly.

Lannie
    PS only leopard that is.

That to me... is yet another reason to not use Mac. :P DNS is the backbone of the internet, learn to use it effectively or go home.

That said my Tiger, and newer boxes are working fine so long as I have my windows DHCP server do the registrations for them.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

You don't need WINS, but if you have a WINS server and want to push it out to your clients, you have to manually edit the client configs (located in /etc/openvpn/ccd/) and add the following:

push "dhcp-option WINS x.x.x.x"
    Last edited by marvosa; 12-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Untangle Ninja

If there are some one that have a large ammount of VPN users that need wins then I can configure the nsis script to add the "push "dhcp-option WINS x.x.x.x"" to the client config file. (during the setup of the client)