Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default Untangle froozed and No Internet

    Today Morning when i was arriving to office at 8:00 AM, Got a call from my staff that the internet is not working, i rush to the office and saw that untangle server is freezed and i can move mouse but not the icons so the untangle server got hanged and after i unpluged the cable and switched on the untangle server it's ok'ay and until now there is not problem but can anyone tell me why it happend

    Here is my setup

    Internet Cable(ISP) --> Untangle --> Switch [] Access Point [] Servers --> Computer & Wireless Clients.

    Untangle act as a router

    Public ip: 87.200.5.x/29 [External Interface] Intel pro 1000 MT desktop Adapter

    Internal ip: 192.168.1.x/24 [Internal Interface] Us Robotics 1000 Gigabit

    Scenario that happned when this untangle server got froozen

    1- i cannot ping 192.168.1.1 saying request time out
    2- my wireless says that no internet access since the interfaces arent responding due to freezing happend with untangle server
    3- once i came to main console i saw that mouse move but cant click to any icons likc Reboot or Terminal .

    Solution temporary was forcefully shutdown and the switch on back.

    Any fix for this ?

  2. #2
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default

    any one cares to give a reply atleast or i'am left alone at home

  3. #3
    Master Untangler BOFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    131

    Default

    I cant say that I have a lot of helpful advice for you on this, but if you could copy and paste the lines from the /var/log/messages file that were generated immediately before and during the freeze, it would help the Guru's diagnose it. Also, did you experience any power fluctuations around the time that the server hung? Whenever the error occurred did you try to CTRL+ALT+BKSP to see if restarting "X" allowed it to start working again? The guru's may request a (zipped) copy of the /var/log/messages so that it can be searched. I wish that I could offer more help, but without knowing a little bit more, all I can offer is troubleshooting advice, and conjecture. Thanks

    BOFH

  4. #4
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
    I cant say that I have a lot of helpful advice for you on this, but if you could copy and paste the lines from the /var/log/messages file that were generated immediately before and during the freeze, it would help the Guru's diagnose it. Also, did you experience any power fluctuations around the time that the server hung? Whenever the error occurred did you try to CTRL+ALT+BKSP to see if restarting "X" allowed it to start working again? The guru's may request a (zipped) copy of the /var/log/messages so that it can be searched. I wish that I could offer more help, but without knowing a little bit more, all I can offer is troubleshooting advice, and conjecture. Thanks

    BOFH
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/zntnum2izko/messages.1

    http://www.mediafire.com/file/mum2m3...Crash Logs.zip

    Above is the link to crash untangle logs and messages log.

    The power of the machine was running and screen was on but the clicking to reboot or terminal or console browser was not working.

    Please advice further.
    Last edited by alhadi; 11-18-2009 at 10:59 AM.

  5. #5
    Untangle Ninja YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alhadi View Post
    any one cares to give a reply atleast or i'am left alone at home
    It's hard to say, we don't have much information. My first guess would be the choice of hardware. I prefer to stay with Intel CPUs, higher grade Intel chipset motherboards, Intel or 3COM NICs, RAM that is certified for use in the motherboard (usually Crucial), quality power supply, and I plug them into a battery backup unit.

    For the most part I've used small form factor business grade workstations for my clients...Compaq/HP Business Desktops like the Evo 510 or DC5000/DC5100 models, or Dell Optiplex GX260/GX280 models. Untangle runs rock solid on those...running 24x7 and rebooting only when I'm doing Untangle upgrades when a new version comes out.

  6. #6
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    It's hard to say, we don't have much information. My first guess would be the choice of hardware. I prefer to stay with Intel CPUs, higher grade Intel chipset motherboards, Intel or 3COM NICs, RAM that is certified for use in the motherboard (usually Crucial), quality power supply, and I plug them into a battery backup unit.

    For the most part I've used small form factor business grade workstations for my clients...Compaq/HP Business Desktops like the Evo 510 or DC5000/DC5100 models, or Dell Optiplex GX260/GX280 models. Untangle runs rock solid on those...running 24x7 and rebooting only when I'm doing Untangle upgrades when a new version comes out.
    Are you saying to me that my hardware is a problem?

    well then I'am planning to buy a dedicated firewall which would be tyan transport GS14 . Any views on it?

    I've a rack unit so i want the firewall to be rack mounted so this tyan transport GS14 can be used.

  7. #7
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    25,464

    Default

    Hard locks are almost always a hardware issue.

    As for if that Tyan works... who knows. Try it and see.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  8. #8
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Hard locks are almost always a hardware issue.

    As for if that Tyan works... who knows. Try it and see.
    http://forums.untangle.com/hardware/...gs12-gs14.html

    A user is sucessfully using it . I thought to use it and see how it goes. If you have any recommendation for me . Please tell.

    Thanks

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2