Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

I'm just going by what I was told by a vendor. The hardware that worked great in 6.x now is unreliable in 7.x. Said it was some poor programming, but its just one opinion. However it tends to match the trend we are seeing.

Lannie

Lschafroth... there isn't a trend here. I have 2 working 7.01 installations and 1 non working one... Granted the non-working one is being rather stubborn about being fixed I'm not about to all the entire thing trashed.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

On earlier Linux builds, there were issues with 3Com 3C905B NICs. 3C905C was fine, but B had problems. I highly doubt that's still a live issue (and it was a point of argument when it was happening), but if you have any other NICs, you might want to try a swap just for grins.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    You can fix the apt configuration to allow you to install older versions of the modules... that isn't a problem.

Wait... Intel Desktop Mainboards... WHAT intel desktop mainboard?
    Intel Classic Series DG43NB for example

I have an Intel D865GLC here that is a bit older but in the same family as the DG43NB... and it seems like Debian Lenny doesn't really work with the onboard SATA controller. I've tried 3 SATA drives and they all crash randomly, I put in an IDE and the bloody thing appears to be cured. Another few days of pounding to be sure will finally get this off my bench.... I hope.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I have an Intel D865GLC here that is a bit older but in the same family as the DG43NB... and it seems like Debian Lenny doesn't really work with the onboard SATA controller. I've tried 3 SATA drives and they all crash randomly, I put in an IDE and the bloody thing appears to be cured. Another few days of pounding to be sure will finally get this off my bench.... I hope.
    One thing is a system crash, ok, i dont have this problems and yes, is more asociated to a hardware issue.

The title of the thread is an invitation to debate the pros and cons of 6.2 vs 7.x branch , derivate this to a hardware problem not is the correct way for me.

I believe its time to question:
    Its UT 7.x to 6.2 like Vista to Xp? (or windows millenium to 98SE for old people)

The fact that the majority of my installs are 7.0.1 now and without issue eliminates the comparison to Windows ME...

However, the new schema changes are showing a significant increase in harddrive utilization on my boxes. The unit I have that is failing, appears to be ok when running on the IDE controller as opposed to the Sata controller.

So, I think what we've found is a SCSI SATA driver in Debian Lenny that applies to Intel manufactured SATA controllers that isn't capable of keeping up with the load.

It's got to be something "hardware" yet "driver" to be this consistently inconsistent.

And yes, my eyes want to bleed at that last sentence too, but I couldn't think of a better way to say it.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-05-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I think that Untangle is a great product, we can argue about whether adding this or that feature, and that's good, it helps developers make better product.
    The criticisms that I dump here, please take it as care from the affection and admiration for the product, its creators, and staff of the forum.
    Use and further using Untangle as well as follow up using windows vista that came out the windows seven.
    Technology advances, is dynamic, we must continue to accompany the changes.

If that was directed at me, don't worry about me misunderstanding you. I'm just trying to feed information I have on a box that was happy with 6.2 and not happy with 7.0.1. I know some people are having issues with 7.0.1, but we always have a small percentage of people that have issues. On the next release some will get fixed, and others break.

The task at hand is figuring out WTF is going on now.
    NexgenAppliances.com

However, the new schema changes are showing a significant increase in harddrive utilization on my boxes.

It's got to be something "hardware" yet "driver" to be this consistently inconsistent.

And yes, my eyes want to bleed at that last sentence too, but I couldn't think of a better way to say it.
    I'm experiencing the same behaviour. in harddrive utilization -- a very significant increase.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast