Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

Default 6.2 was rock solid, 7.x not so much?

When I was using 6.2 on a quad core server with 600+ machines accessing the internet everything worked great.

Now that I'm on 7.0.1 I have to restart the untangle-vm several times a week. The network throughput drops to 172K out of 15Mb at times.

I turned off Attack Blocker and that seemed to help.

Is anything being done in 7.1 to resolve these issues? I see a lot of posts talking about the problems, but little or no posts giving me comfort as to what is being worked on and that UT even knows what is causing it.

Can someone pat me on the head and make me feel better??

Lannie

PS We are going backwards fast, and I want to know the best is yet to come if I wait.

I suscribe, too much trouble with 7 branch. I recognize the effort of the staff, but a simple read of the forum in the pasts weeks is contundent. I roll back half of my instalation in production to 6.2 and wait to a mature version.

I blame the new reports. The DB schema changes had some unintended side effects. To a large degree I am forced to consider 7.x a 1.0 release.

That said, I have 7.0.1 in production here with zero issues. Granted I haven't pushed it into my larger networks yet.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    I suscribe, too much trouble with 7 branch. I recognize the effort of the staff, but a simple read of the forum in the pasts weeks is contundent. I roll back half of my instalation in production to 6.2 and wait to a mature version.
    I believe if you have a paid app you cannot install any apps until you upgrade to 7.x so they are forcing you to the new version.

Lannie

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I blame the new reports. The DB schema changes had some unintended side effects. To a large degree I am forced to consider 7.x a 1.0 release.

That said, I have 7.0.1 in production here with zero issues. Granted I haven't pushed it into my larger networks yet.
    I have 7.0.1 at home and at work. At home it is rock solid, but only 5 computers. At work, it goes down 2 or 3 times a week. Network throughput goes from 15Mb to 172K at times. Sometimes the policies just quit and everything goes to the default rack. A reboot is the only fix.

Lannie

What do the numbers show is happening with your system at the times when throughput is restricted? Does the machine all of a sudden max out to 100%? I am running at multiple locations 7.0.1 with anywhere from 7 to 50 systems behind each UT, and I have not seen a situation like this. Is there any commonality to it, such as the time of day that it happens?

Because it is so random it almost reminds me of a hardware issue, where something is starting to go bad, reboot fixes it for a short period of time, then bam it happens again.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by raditude View Post
    Because it is so random it almost reminds me of a hardware issue, where something is starting to go bad, reboot fixes it for a short period of time, then bam it happens again.
    Worked perfect on same hardware using 6.2. Not with 7.0.1. No hardware issues.

Lannie

lschafroth: only open source app used for now in this boxes fortunately.
    raditude: is the same hardware that work fine in 6.2, upgrade to 7.0. then to 7.1 in both branches 7.x have a lot of issues. All are intel desktop mobo, with intel an 3com nic's.

You can fix the apt configuration to allow you to install older versions of the modules... that isn't a problem.

Wait... Intel Desktop Mainboards... WHAT intel desktop mainboard?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

It has been said on the forums many times, just because it worked perfect in a previous version doesn't mean anything. That being said, the randomness of the issues is what draws the hardware failure into question. Many a time I have had a server/firewall/desktop start to have random issues, only in the end to find a NIC taking a dive, or a stick of RAM..etc. Upon a reboot it would work fine for a day, two, sometimes a week, then bam out of the blue. I am not saying this is the case here, just throwing out suggestions, of issues I have encountered, or seen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast