Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Well with an internet service like that I wouldn't expect it to do anything but soar. For me, I have a 5mb/20mb cable pipe... My Intel Pro100s keep up nicely, but every time I toss in a realtek it drops to somewhere between 10 and 15mbit max. I "could" improve performance with more ram, but to be honest new interfaces are cheaper. In your case extra ram is the only option. I'd be curious to see where that unit really caps.
    Maybe I should haul it into work one of these fine days and test it out. We have business class cable service so that would be one place I think I could really test the speed. Or, could hook it up at my freind's house, she's a fios subscriber.

Realteks just suck. When I first built our WHS and put it into service we were having issues with copying large files to/from the server. PC backups would fail randomly sometimes too. If I was streaming music to my PC from the server and someone else on the network started to access anything on the server, my music would crash. It was driving us nuts!

I was usuing the onboard nic in the server, a realtek based 10/100/1000. Then I remembered that for a project I had worked on for a friend I had in my arsenal of PC parts a 10/100/1000 marvel based pcie nic just sitting around. Decided to toss it into the server and see what happened. Well, let' just say the onboard nic has been disabled and will never be used again.
    Untangle can be addictive :D

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Does UT 7.1 have wireless support? That's news to me...
    I too, for that mis question above

Master Untangler

really untangle support wireless yet ?

No Untangle doesn't support wireless, and I suspect it likely never will directly. The more advanced wireless tech gets, the less likely you'll get a wireless card that can operate as an access point. You can't just slap a wireless radio to a box and call it an AP.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I don't see why not, Any wireless card you put in a laptop/desktop for windows can be turned into an ADHOC network. Can share network to all computers that way. Once the connection is done its just another interface.

That said. Its easier now to just slap DD-WRT on a linksys router (WRT-610N is my fav) and attach that to your network, disable all routing, dhcp, nat etc and make it an access point only.

That's my point... there are 1000 different ways to add wireless to a network infinitely more effectively and simply than trying to integrate direct wireless support in Untangle.

And if you think a 10ft ranged ADHOC network is the same thing as a 300ft range WAP you need help... The radio's build into PCI/USB/PCExpress/PCMCIA/Insert interface here devices just don't have the broadcasting power to be used as Access points. Also, to do what you ask you need the thing to be in infrastructure mode operating as an access point... not all adapters can do this, even fewer going forward are allowing this on a firmware level...

Why? It's simple, in the US we have this thing called the FCC. Canada, Great Britain, and many other countries have a similar regulation body. Anything outside of the 802.11b specification actually bleeds into licensed air space. This is why long range wireless equipment is limited to the 11mbit 11b specification. There are proprietary systems that bypass the bandwidth limitation... but not the frequency limitations imposed by the regulating bodies.

To put it simply your little wireless card isn't licensed to act as a broadcast tower... sorry. But if you buy a wireless router from <insert manufacturer here> it *is* licensed.

Untangle has enough troubles in their day without having to argue with government regulation.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12