Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default 7.1 Beta and USB Nic updated

I owned a USB nic from smc network, it was usb 1.1. That's what I have been using as my external nic until about 20 minutes ago. I upgraded it to the 2.0 model of the same thing and I'm back up and running. Untangle found the new usb nic, I configured it and ta-da, running like a champ.

Thank you again for giving me back untangle! I was a U4W user until a firmware upgrade on my d-link router messed up untangle. The only hardware I had to run untangle on was a MSI wind PC with only one NIC and NO WAY to add a second.

7.1 is the greatest.

Erm... 7.1 doesn't have an updated kernel... it has the same hardware support that 6.2 had...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Ya know, I've heard that story before. I think, and trust me I'm a rookie, that prior versions of untangle would fail during install if there was only one true NIC detected. because 7.1 can run on one NIC (VM), it bypasses that one NIC fail spot and continues the install. Then when it configures it will see the USB NIC, configures it and install it.
    Untangle can be addictive :D

Ahh yes that would make sense. Arg, that brings up an entirely new idea set for testing small installs.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

In looking at USB NICs I notice that the SMC line has standard linux drivers, many of the other brands don't.

When I first bought the USB NIC I had been using I bought it dirt cheap off of e-bay just to test untangle with. I had been a U4W user for a while until a firmware upgrade to my dlink dir-655 router blocked untangle from working properly. I tried everything I could think of to get U4W running again to no avail.

So my untabngle box at the time (and is right now too) is the MSI Wind barebore PC. It has just one onboard NIC and no way to add a second. So I thought I would just try untangle 6.2 decicated and see what would happen. The USB nic came in, I plugged it in and started the untangle dedicated install. As soon as it detected just one "real" NIC the install stopped and would go no further. I had to simply abandon untangle, which I hated to do but could not afford any new hardware and had no old hardware to use.

A friend gave me their old PC when I built them a new one. Got untangle running on it but hated the space it took up in my office. My small office already has a windows home server, my desktop PC, along with all the supporting items such as switches, routers, printers, etc. But, at least I had untangle back.

Here on the forums a week later I read about the new beta 7.1 release that only needs one nic to run. I was excited because I could use my wind PC again which has a much smaller footprint and uses a lot less power. So I get the wind out and install the beta 7.1 on it. When I put the wind pc into storage I never unplugged the the SMC USB nic from the back. As untangle 7.1 beta starts to install it sees the one true nic and moves on. Previous versions of untangle dedicated stopped at that point and did not go any farther.

After install as it starts to configure it sees, installs and configures the USB nic. I was so surprised because I forget the thing was even plugged in. I have to say it works just fine, I've been up and running so far for 15 or 16 days straight without any issues at all. I think the kernel has supported the USB nic all along, it was untangle itself that would stop the dedicated install before it got far enough to see and use the USB nic. Prior versions of untangle dedicated would fail when they saw only one true nic, never loading far enough to see and support usb devices such as my SMC usb nic?

With 7.1 since it does not halt at that point when it detects the nics and continues on it loads completely, thus loading the support for the usb. That's my theory anyway.

That is exactly what happens. The installer uses the same kernel, but due to storage constraints in the memory drive used to load kernel modules it doesn't load a full set of drivers. After the installation is complete and you're booting from the hard drive you have the full selection of Debian Lenny supported hardware.

So your issue before was simply getting past the first reboot. Now that 7.1 allows you to proceed with only a single NIC installed it gives the OS a chance to actually find USB based adapters.

This does indeed open new doors. I would caution everyone that USB adapters should only be used in very small deployments. The performance issues associated with software based network interfaces are compounded further by the load associated with a software based network interface on a USB bus.

At this point I have no doubt your box is working, but my gut tells me that you're stuck with ~15mbit as your maximum throughput.

How fast is your Internet line? And have you tested your performance on speedtest.net?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    At this point I have no doubt your box is working, but my gut tells me that you're stuck with ~15mbit as your maximum throughput.

How fast is your Internet line? And have you tested your performance on speedtest.net?
    I too would only recommend this set up for home users and very small businesses.

With that said, we have 3000/768 dsl service. I speed test regularly at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest. Speeds before untangle through the dlink router were on average 2700/625. With untangle and the USB nic we're seeing now 2800/700. We'll take any increase we can get our hands on!

I've also noticed a huge performance boost with our internal network performance. Logging in to the WHS server console is much, much faster now. No one is more surprised by the performance of this little USB NIC than I am.

Eventually I will upgrade my hardware, most likely not until I upgrade my internet service. We are impatiently waiting for fios to come to our town, it's all around us so we are hoping we'll be soon.

Well with an internet service like that I wouldn't expect it to do anything but soar. For me, I have a 5mb/20mb cable pipe... My Intel Pro100s keep up nicely, but every time I toss in a realtek it drops to somewhere between 10 and 15mbit max. I "could" improve performance with more ram, but to be honest new interfaces are cheaper. In your case extra ram is the only option. I'd be curious to see where that unit really caps.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I have a question
    How can you set the multiple options of a wireless nic in UT? channel, pass and encription type, 802.11b/g/n , and so one?
    Its a gui option or need type in the console?

thanks

Does UT 7.1 have wireless support? That's news to me...
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast