Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GUI interface

Untangler

Default GUI interface

How about a version of linux that has a GUI interface.

I find it odd I can't even add a printer.
    :)Thanks to all who help:)

You're so in the wrong forum for this...

But to do what you're asking, check out Linux Mint

I've got it on a station for my kids out in the living room. I put in the CD, double clicked an install, got GUI wireless, GUI printer, GUI everything really right off the bat.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

http://distrowatch.com/

Screenshots for most of them.

Ubuntu has the popularity contest won, but other popular ones for those who are "new" to *nix, PCLinuxOS, OpenSUSE (my favorite), and a fast riser....mentioned above...Linux Mint..which is based on Ubuntu but has a few more things installed and easier to run out of the box.

mdh

Thanks for the info on Linux Mint. Sooner or later I want to get a Linux box (when I get rich and/or famous) and I am hooked on GUI for simplicity, though I can get cryptic as hell on a CLI as well. I just don't have a box to free up yet.

Master Untangler

I didn't realize Mint was a Ubuntu flavor. I'll have to check it out.

My kids love Mint... that was the final test for me. I put a DVD in a box, clicked onto my wireless lan, clicked both of my network printers...

Then I clicked in some games, clicked in a limited user for my daughter...

So my 4 year old daughter, (who just turned 5 yes I've had it in service that long) learned how to type her name. If she wanted to play the game, she had to log in. The login was her first name, the password was her last name. Devious parent aren't I?

Anyway, now my 2 year old son is in on the act. They both love it to pieces. Even when my son goes nuts and screws the interface up... all I have to do is login on my account, SU to root, move the .mozilla folder out of my daughter's account, rm -rm .* in her profile, move the .mozilla folder back, and login as her... *poof* instant back to defaults everything.

Give me windows box that recovers from a 2 year old randomly pounding on a keyboard that fast?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    all I have to do is login on my account, SU to root, move the .mozilla folder out of my daughter's account, rm -rm .* in her profile, move the .mozilla folder back, and login as her... *poof* instant back to defaults everything.

Give me windows box that recovers from a 2 year old randomly pounding on a keyboard that fast?
    even better, do it via ssh from somewhere else on the network. my 6 yr old thinks its funny when i admin his windows 7 desktop or his ubuntu netbook remix laptop from my computer. he gets a huge kick out of it.

I could do that but I'm too lazy to look up the IP address. Besides, I've found with my kids... it's better if they see me fixing it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I could do that but I'm too lazy to look up the IP address. Besides, I've found with my kids... it's better if they see me fixing it.
    There's something to be said for being seen to fix something ... whether by kids or the missus.

But if you wanted to make it simpler, you could write a small script to do that on bootup, or maybe run as a cron job overnight (if you leave the box on).
    There are many alternate universes, but only this one has beer.

I could, but I want the kids to be able to change things. Part of this project is to give them something they can beat up and learn on. And I have to say it's filling its objective very very nicely. I spend 5 minutes on the thing once a month resetting things to default.

Mint Linux is a linux I would give my grandmother... it's THAT easy to use. If you haven't tried it... you need to. Heck they even mostly automated WINE so you can get windows games running at a click...
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast