Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just my 2cents,

With respect to the purpose of an add, and what it represents, I have an issue showing adds when I also work very hard to block them. I understand the revenue model, and I understand in times like these it makes sense to increase your margins anyway you can, especially since this isn't the first open source project to do this by a long stretch...

Here is the but; I don't know if I could deploy this to a business and be taken seriously. This also seems to hugely impact the professional appearance and clean look of the current(non-add-powered) untangle block pages. I don't feel like this is a game-changer by any means, but does the extra $$ really justify the impact on the product? (and are you making enough money through this for all the sketchy factor this brings appearance wise?)

It *feels* ironic to see adds like that too on a block page, because I would love to also block the pages they would click through the adds...

But I also understand the need to monetize, and I understand that the adds are supposed to be "ok" and filtered anyways...

At the end of the day, I say nay.

Quote Originally Posted by scimanal View Post
    Just my 2cents,

With respect to the purpose of an add, and what it represents, I have an issue showing adds when I also work very hard to block them. I understand the revenue model, and I understand in times like these it makes sense to increase your margins anyway you can, especially since this isn't the first open source project to do this by a long stretch...

Here is the but; I don't know if I could deploy this to a business and be taken seriously. This also seems to hugely impact the professional appearance and clean look of the current(non-add-powered) untangle block pages. I don't feel like this is a game-changer by any means, but does the extra $$ really justify the impact on the product? (and are you making enough money through this for all the sketchy factor this brings appearance wise?)

It *feels* ironic to see adds like that too on a block page, because I would love to also block the pages they would click through the adds...

But I also understand the need to monetize, and I understand that the adds are supposed to be "ok" and filtered anyways...

At the end of the day, I say nay.
    more information here: http://forums.untangle.com/networkin...e-changes.html
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks for the link.

Master Untangler

Yea, My 150+ workstations need to look at buying monitoring software for their workplace. Oh wait, that's my job. Maybe they need it for home use since they are so happy with me blocking them at work. You all should put ads to like shopping sites, then I can block them when they click on em.
    Last edited by brent; 01-26-2010 at 06:50 AM.

You know all of this would go over a lot easier if the ads went away when the client purchased ANY paid application. In most of my small deployments the only module that makes sense is the support module.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12