View Poll Results: Would using DNS to get hostnames be a good feature?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So what's the final verdict here?
    External interface of UT, DNS servers set to____?

Untangle targets small to medium business networks
    Many (quite a few) small to medium business networks run Windows Servers
    This means active directory
    This means...the domain controller(s) run DNS and DHCP
    DNS on the servers is a MUST, DHCP is not an absolute must...but really should be run on a DC...active directory runs tighter, better client registrations in DNS, etc.

So what options do we have in Untangle to integrate it's local DNS with the network.

Well, I can tell you how we run it.

The untangle serves DNS and DHCP for the entire network.

It's upstream DNS (the entries in external interface) is set to the windows DNS servers.

However, we do that for some historical reasons, it's not an optimal setup by any means.

My recommendation in AD environment? Leave DHCP and DNS on the windows servers. Install AD connector (soon to be directory connector) and the problem is solved.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Perhaps an enhancement should be made to the directory connector to specify a rDNS server to use to resolve IPs to host names?

I realize the AD connector gives us username -> IP mappings, but there are times when machinename -> IP mappings are useful too.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Right...the AD connector gives us the user name mappings, but I see a need for machine names to be resolved.
    *The PC Remote component...which I fear is being dropped. I wish it would be continued and further developed...some sort of mixing with that and the remote access portal would give a sort of equivalent to the SBS RWW.

Or give some flexibility with Untangles local DNS when setting up WANs, via UT to UT VPN tunnels. In those situations where a DC is at the central office, and your client has small satellite offices and no budget for additional DCs at each satellite office. Setting DNS on the workstations to the DC at the central office can lead to sometimes slow resolution. Having the satellite offices router be able to do a little DNS caching and forwarding would be helpful.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sstory View Post
    In the quest for "who done it", instead of the Name Map thing where I have to plug in every IP and a machine name, if there isn't a way to use a company's DNS to determine the host and show that (apart from AD), there should be.

Is there a way to point Untangle to DNS to get hostnames to show in reports?
    Similar question:
    http://forums.untangle.com/networkin...erver-dns.html

Untanglit

Default rDNS

I understand why the AD connector is there. But there are mid sized companies running Linux/Unix for many of these services--and a lot cheaper too.
    We already have DNS running the way we want it. Our computers hit the local DNS and it either knows the IP or gets it from the NS's on the internet. This works great for us.

My only point is that there should be an option to turn own or off for those without AD, to be able to resolve at least internal names via rDNS to an internal DNS server. I would think it could possibly be streamlined and it just use the serial number of the DNS info to determine when to refresh the cache (memory permitting of course), and if not just do the lookup. I'm not sure which way would be better, but it seems at the least caching the currently active machine rDNS lookups would keep things moving quickly.

I do know about the Name map to IP, but that is just one more place to have to maintain Ip to name resolution when I already have a machine that does it well.

It would be a nice feature. We are a small-mid sized company with more than one physical location and 60-100 computers and growing, but we also have many printers and other devices DNS has entries for.

Untanglit

I think more options, more flexibility, might equal more adoption of UT.
    We are not opposed to paying for the bought parts of it, but need it to do what we need in our current environment. I bet I am not alone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123