View Poll Results: Would using DNS to get hostnames be a good feature?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Use DNS to get Hostname

In the quest for "who done it", instead of the Name Map thing where I have to plug in every IP and a machine name, if there isn't a way to use a company's DNS to determine the host and show that (apart from AD), there should be.

Is there a way to point Untangle to DNS to get hostnames to show in reports?

If you use Untangle as the DHCP server it will put the machine names instead of their IPs.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

I am doing fixed IP's at present, so that is not an option for me. It makes determining "WHO DUN IT" simpler.

Untanglit

However, if I could use my DNS, it would be nice. I may eventually have AD, but don't at present. I'm probably not alone.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    If you use Untangle as the DHCP server it will put the machine names instead of their IPs.
    Does UT support reserved ip or static ip's via DHCP? We have static IP's for every device on the network. If it supported that feature we could set everyone to DHCP and control the static scheme from the DHCP server.

Lannie

In the untangle's external interface, set your internal DNS servers IP.

That should make it work. It does do a reverse DNS lookup, but if your DNS server entry is "outside" your network they won't know what "192.168.1.4" is "Clara-accounting".
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untanglit

Question Is that a typo?

Am I understanding incorrectly or did you mean to say that for interfaces I should set the Internal one to the DNS server? The external one should be an address from the ISP shouldn't it?

BTW, I love your disclaimer

No, your DNS server should be set to the DNS server that knows something about your network. If you have an internal server providing DNS (like a windows server), that should be the DNS server IP you put into the DNS entry on the external interface.

Do not put any other DNS server entry in, just the one that knows your internal host names.

For example, in my network, we have two DNS servers that know all the host names in our network. I point untangle to look at them for information so I enter 10.0.0.41 and 10.0.0.30.

m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    No, your DNS server should be set to the DNS server that knows something about your network. If you have an internal server providing DNS (like a windows server), that should be the DNS server IP you put into the DNS entry on the external interface.

Do not put any other DNS server entry in, just the one that knows your internal host names.

For example, in my network, we have two DNS servers that know all the host names in our network. I point untangle to look at them for information so I enter 10.0.0.41 and 10.0.0.30.

And this config resolve ip to host names in reports?

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    And this config resolve ip to host names in reports?
    yup.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast