Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

I agree. The whole idea if setting up a firewall to protect you and block ads, to find out that firewall is pushing the same ads is cheesy and unprofessional looking.

My advice, take off the ads and focus on the original revenue stream.

that's really annoying

I dont really understand the concept right.
    If the ADS is so bad for you (we live in a ADS world) buy the branding manager, only 10$/months.
    Besides the links are blocked by the AD Blocker.

^^ they took away the $10 a month option, which i think was silly of them, some people don't want to commit to 1 year.

Also that text add looks so bad and plain.....at least make the white the same background color, and perhaps add something like "Sponsored links"

If i saw that with out knowing you did the changes, i would think my UT box was hacked.

mdh

I think that when it comes down to it, paying customers that come and go can't be depended on to pay bills. You can't project a revenue stream on month-to-month business. Customers want commitment from Untangle, and Untangle hopes for commitment from customers.

I'm happy they took away the monthly option.

You guys don't understand that us small resellers can't manage the insanity of paperwork that is the mess formed by monthly reoccurring charges. Most of us have to process that crap manually. When backed by the fact that every reseller purchase made is automatically enrolled for auto-renewal and the final piece falls into place.

Personally, I'm tired of having to submit every order manually back to the sales department and tell them I don't want the auto-renewal on the account. I have no means of doing "auto" renewals for my clients, and to be honest I have no intention of ever offering such a thing.

Finally, when was the last time you saw Sonicwall, Instagate, or anyone else offer monthly renewals? When was the last time you had an AV vendor do monthly renewals?

You haven't... EVER... why? It's too much work for too little return. Go yearly, or go home.

As for the aesthetics for the ads... it looks just like a typical google ad block. I fail to see the problem.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Then it's me, typical google ad block in a nicely designed program that Untangle is = hack job.

It is just like putting white walls on a BMW. Nice.

Putting $.99 a square dark brown and orange vinyl flooring squares in a master kitchen of a million dollar house. Nice.

I guess I need to stop trying to look at Juggsworld.com when my web filter is running.

mdh

Yeah...spending $3000 to fill a milk container with silicone...

Master Untangler

Personally, we have sonic wall at our office, and I like untangle much better.
    but if untangle turns into Sonicwall, then I will end up liking Endian the best.

Untangle choose a path that works. And I know I have a lot of issues with untangle as for features that I think should be in it. But I accept that untangle is a work in progress, and open source and has those glitches and missing features.

I understand that untangle has a lot of dev it needs and profits to support it, but at the same time if untangle is going to put the weight on profits, the demand for perfection will be much greater.

headless installs on network appliances, as well as all the other enterprise features that will compete with the other guys in the pay market.

I think untangle has a system that works and shouldn't start getting greedy.

Although I'm not one of the dev's slaving over this product every day. They might have a different opinion. But I think that's why I choose untangle was because it gives you what you need for free minus hardware, and if you need the extra features, there are reasonable costs involved.

Locking people into yearly licenses could be a very bad idea. Honestly, I have a yearly license with Sonicwall, and I feel raped every time I think of it and consider changing firewalls. I just don't think untangle should go that route.

Just add more pay features and keep the free core features.

by the way. has untangle considered that if they modify the code to work on headless network appliances, then they can sell their own untangle network appliances, like Endian as a complete package and make money off the hardware sales.
    Last edited by vertigo262; 02-13-2010 at 12:43 AM.

...and some will complain about being cut with a sharp knife. Free Untangle is an awesome solution anyway I can get it!

Master Untangler

If you are using untangle for free, you have 1 hell of a great product.
    Ad's shouldn't bother you!

You have great product for nothing. Suck it up and stop complaining.

I don't think Untangle will lose much from this. At he end of the day there only gonna lose some free users. The more money untangle can make the better the product will become.

I love Untangle and I have replaced a few things where I work. Check point + trend imss message scanning + Barracida Webfilter. Now I have one producct that does all the things I need and does them pretty damn good.

So I hope untangle can improve and add more to there product. So more money the better it will work out for me in the long run.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast