Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

I would like to know if Untangle is making enough off these adds to justify there existence? I for one never click ads, I hope others do the same. Yours or others, not anything personal against Untangle.

I once upon a time recommended to any who ask or had no firewall. I am no longer recommending Untangle until this silliness goes away. Sorry.

I am sorry Untangle is not making enough money. There is plenty of opportunity to offer value added options that people would pay for. IPSEC and proper voip support spring to mind. I am sure there would be more by looking threw your own forums for a few minutes. Or come up with some new idea that other firewalls don't have. That is what will save your company not silly ads.

The branding option is useless, It provides no value to the customer. It is basically blackmail. It may provide some benefit to a reseller but not the the actual customer. Nothing works better if it is in place than if it is not. Only thing fixed would be no ads.

You have a very good support team. You should be offering install support and remote install services to make some money off of that also. It is obvious from reading the forums many need this. Charge a resonable price and many may use that type of service.

If you are going to continue to use ads may I also suggest you use them on your own untangle.com pages. Why are they not covering your web pages? Maybe it would make you look bad or less professional. Oh maybe that is why people are complaining. I look forward to the new pages cover with ads soon if you don't care about that.

Thanks,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    ...IPSEC and proper voip support spring to mind. I am sure there would be more by looking threw your own forums for a few minutes....
    IPSec takes more than 30 seconds to implement or it would have been done. VoIP runs fine behind Untangle right now, I'm posting this reply on a network that is doing it.

The branding option is useless, It provides no value to the customer. It is basically blackmail. It may provide some benefit to a reseller but not the the actual customer. Nothing works better if it is in place than if it is not. Only thing fixed would be no ads.
    Branding was never meant to allow a reseller to make the product theirs. It was meant to allow the local IT support staff to redirect questions and inquiries to the local IT department. It was also made to allow customization of the block page so it would fit with the corporate look and feel. If you want Untangle to look like you made it, I suggest you develop your own Untangle.

You have a very good support team. You should be offering install support and remote install services to make some money off of that also. It is obvious from reading the forums many need this. Charge a resonable price and many may use that type of service.
    This is called violating the channel. If they do this, every reseller including myself will drop them like a hot rock. We're competing with each other enough as it is. Personally, I'd like to see Untangle terminate direct support and sales altogether. There is a reason Astaro and the rest don't sell direct.

If you are going to continue to use ads may I also suggest you use them on your own untangle.com pages. Why are they not covering your web pages? Maybe it would make you look bad or less professional. Oh maybe that is why people are complaining. I look forward to the new pages cover with ads soon if you don't care about that.
    Now that is a worthy argument. Why indeed.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

IPSec takes more than 30 seconds to implement or it would have been done.
    I am sure it does, this was an example of things from the forum that people have been asking for and therefore an opportunity to create a value added feature people will pay for.

VoIP runs fine behind Untangle right now,
    Yes it does, I use it also but it was not that easy for me to get working and it is probably another thing people would pay to have working without the hassle of learning. I also use it threw an openvpn tunnel. Again not that easy to do but doable with a bit of knowledge and patience.

Ads look like money for nothin and chicks for free. But this is software not rock & roll. Ads will have a cost in lost users. Sure they don't make any money of free users but it is exposure and exposure is like advertising. Little Johny the computer nerd puts it on dads office computers and others see it and start using it. They start using it and buy support or ad integration or whatever. With ads I think you will lose out on that type of propagation. I have never seen an ad for Untangle. I saw it after it was recommended on another forum and liked what I saw. If the ads were there I would have drooped it early at the testing stage.

Don

Well, for your VoIP...

NAT + VoIP = PITA (Pain In The Arse)

It will never be easy due to the details involved with SIP+RTP. It is drastically easier with AIX but that is a different conversation.

There is a reason CISCO has an entire certification track to deal with VoIP technology. It isn't a small subject, and there is a crap-ton of stuff you need to know to deploy it and support it successfully. I don't think it's a realistic expectation to expect Untangle to just one click and go with some kind of magic to the VoIP problem.

However, the fact that you assume they can pull off that magic so readily speaks volumes about the quality you expect from Untangle.

I don't agree with the ads either, I think the negatives out weigh the positives. But, I also understand how people think and operate. I have enough exposure with the folks in the Untangle corporation to be able to predict their maneuvers to a certain degree. And, in this particular case, they are simply going to have to learn their lesson the hard way.

There is simply no easy answer for the fact that Untangle gives away all the features needed to successfully defend a SMB network. They target the SMB market for their primary source of revenue... yet they give the SMB every toy they need for free! For this reason I refuse to sell a unit without the support package purchased. The model is simply broken.

When you add the economic pressure from everything being very slow for the last year, and slow before that for 3 years... staying in business is very hard.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Just some thoughts...
    *How many people use free antivirus like AntiVir or AVG? They nag you to death with ads or nags to upgrade to the pro versions.
    *How many people will use the free version of the next Microsoft Office when it comes out...they're going to release a free version (with some features disabled) that will be ad supported.

IMO, you're using a product which provides an incredible amount of features in their free version. I've been doing computers/networks for a living for a long time, I've not seen many products out there which have free versions with as many features as Untangle has. Nor as good/fast of support for a free product as you can get here in the forums...where Untangle staff (for free) and some expert end users help out quite a bit.
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 02-14-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiau View Post
    ^^ they took away the $10 a month option, which i think was silly of them, some people don't want to commit to 1 year.

Also that text add looks so bad and plain.....at least make the white the same background color, and perhaps add something like "Sponsored links"

If i saw that with out knowing you did the changes, i would think my UT box was hacked.
    ditto...

Master Untangler

Oh I get it! so we should see untangles ads, and no buddy elses

it would be nice to block the ads
    Last edited by vertigo262; 02-14-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Just some thoughts...
    *How many people use free antivirus like AntiVir or AVG? They nag you to death with ads or nags to upgrade to the pro versions.
    I would think most people who use Avir use the methods to stop the ads. I still think free users should be offered a cheap solution to remove them. Say $50 a year or something. Most dont want or need branding so forcing them to pay $108 a year is not appealing. I think most would cough up $50.

I know I would.

Lannie

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by lschafroth View Post
    I would think most people who use Avir use the methods to stop the ads. I still think free users should be offered a cheap solution to remove them. Say $50 a year or something. Most dont want or need branding so forcing them to pay $108 a year is not appealing. I think most would cough up $50.

I know I would.

Lannie

That is a smart idea lannie, $20-$50 per year to remove the ads, would be good idea. Branding manager isn't required for most people. Easy semi cheap way off removing ads would be spot on.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by joemailey View Post
    That is a smart idea lannie, $20-$50 per year to remove the ads, would be good idea. Branding manager isn't required for most people. Easy semi cheap way off removing ads would be spot on.
    I think that would work for UT. I dont know of a single person that clicks on ads. Everyone I know ignores them. Only people who dont know better click on them and once they do it, they dont do it again.

This would ad least give UT some money. Better than none.

Lannie

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast