Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Future

The feedback is appreciated. I don't have any official information to relate, but I want you to know that we've had many discussions on exactly these topics. I think we're close to making some announcements addressing some of these areas.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

That's good to know, just to follow what Bert was saying..

I need to be clear in that I'm not 100% sold on the ideas I've presented in the OP. There are many ways to deal with this complex situation. My goal is to help achieve some consistency. A goal needs set, and we need to move toward it.

If anything, solid leadership is required.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

The goal of the forums always has been to engage in conversation, mostly technical but sometimes not. Condescending attitudes and flaming don't cut it here, and the only censorship is elimination of spam as well as cutting out information (which I did yesterday) that a user unwittingly provides that leaves him/her vulnerable to a network attack. If we feel someone is out of line, we (or at least I) will PM them rather than drag them publicly through the dirt. We have answered a ton of questions here, and have also created a number of experts in the process (sky-knight being one), though we can't create an expert out of someone who doesn't have or want the capability. The experts do a pretty good job of helping people, and sometimes having civil arguments too. The net result is that people come here out of need and many stay out of choice. I hope it stays that way.

As far as the topic of this thread, I have provided my forty cents worth of ideas to the Untangle VP who is following this thread. My ultimate goal is that Untangle succeed where many fail, and several of us add expertise, opinions and ideas towards that goal. The future starts here and now, which is the goal of this thread.

Amen to both threads...

I wish I still had the PM Dirk sent me when Untangle decided to make me a contributor...

For those of you that are new... if you think I'm anal, opinionated, and a bit on the hostile side now... you should go back and read some posts from around a year and a half ago.

And to add to what mreeves just posted, AMEN. Freedom works every time it's tried.

Also, thanks for the complements guys but I don't think expert is an appropriate title to bestow on an incorrigible forum spammer like me.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I agree with a lot of what Sky-knight put in the OP, I do think that ads in the open-source version is truly acceptable. Also as stated it is a very good selling point to move folks into ANY paid product, if they feel ads are unacceptable. The only way I see getting around this is to have a "free" version, but in doing this, I believe you will see some of the open-source modules go away and into a "cost" version.

Sky-knight blurs the end user/reseller (because of his position as a reseller), and in the OP he has some points that are valid for the resellers, however what might work better as discussed before is having a specific section for resellers to discuss information that is more relevant to resellers.

In regards to hardware, this is where it gets tough, because as UT looks to add services/modules, it is going to push the requirements. So it is always going to be a sliding scale. When I started in v5.x, I had a P4 2.26ghz with 1gb Ram, and an 80gb HDD, which hummed right along. I had it online until v7, and it still ran, but the loads started to really take a toll on it, so I retired it from the gateway roll. I think from UT's standpoint the best we can request is that they give minimum requirements (much like you see from MS, or any other software vendor). My guess is there are several reasons UT got out of the hardware side of things, first is you have to have a "department/person" to build the systems, second is that software support is different than hardware support, you also have the fact that you have to put $$$ into stock to have parts on hand to build and few/many as will be requested, because if you have too few on hand and demand is high, folks get angry that it takes 4 weeks to get something.

My thoughts are as much as I would like to have 1 company that could do EVERYTHING in a UTM, but the fact is I would rather have a solid product that didnt have everything, than one that was unreliable that did. If there is 1 place in my networks that I want/expect reliability, it is at the edge. If you add a module, do 1 addition, get it right, before you ever think about moving onto the next. Especially if it is a paid module!

I believe UT has some great core values, but they must stick with them and not try to be too much to too many, or you will dilute the core and fail from inside the core you started with.

Just my 2cents

Ok, so I guess I need to chime here as well.

I agree with the points here. I'm a minor player in this arena because I do SMB consulting as a side-gig (don't ask how it works). I need tools that help me as a reseller. Tools that help me manage these things, tools that help me sell and maintain the subscriptions. The "store" is a start but I think it needs a bit more.

I love the product and propose it to numerous folks. Keep up the good work.
    MiniPilote

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12