Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I think you need to separate stuff here, you are blurring the "free" versions with the "paid" versions. IMO you need to compare the "free" offerings, which is what I think the OP was stating, but then we have folks throwing out the "home" version (which is not legal to install in an SMB), so though it is a great product, those who must follow licensing rules should not use this.

If we compare the "free" (Astaro Essential Firewall) it does not do a lot of stuff UT does, as the OP pointed out (no spam/virus/IPS..etc). Now I do agree in my trials of Astaro it is a good product, but if you are doing email hosting, you need to factor what the actual costs end up being.

I think what the OP was looking for here was for folks to compare what UT offers for free, compared with any other UTM/Firewall for the same cost.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by raditude View Post
    I think what the OP was looking for here was for folks to compare what UT offers for free, compared with any other UTM/Firewall for the same cost.
    I AM comparing the free version of Astaro. The free one for home users versus the free untangle I have at home.

Lannie

lschafroth, I believe it is slight of hand, but technically you are correct then, I dont review these for "home" installs, not that they dont have a small market for them, but myself and I believe a majority of others on here are for SMB or enterprise purposes. For posting purposes I believe if one posts something that is valid ONLY in the "home" realm, it should be denoted. I have seen folks on this forum as well as others post about "free" AV products, and folks new to the industry (or many SMB's, that dont have an IT department), mis-understand what is allowed.

I realize this is just my pet peeve, but it was my understanding of the question posed (could be my mis-understanding) was comparing the "free" version that anyone could use, and the home version not anyone (outside of home users), can utilize it.

I was planning on doing a UT super bundle vs Astaro's max offering, but I didnt have time. I will work on it over the weekend.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by raditude View Post
    I realize this is just my pet peeve, but it was my understanding of the question posed (could be my mis-understanding) was comparing the "free" version that anyone could use, and the home version not anyone (outside of home users), can utilize it.
    I totally agree with you. If you truley compare their free version for business use to untangle for business use, untangle kills it hands down.

I will test it here at home and see how it compares. Sometimes it looks awesome on paper or a website, then you try it. Sometimes different story. (you know, like UT reports) hehe

Lannie

I'm using Astaro at the moment (the "free for home use" version) and am very happy with it - it's easier to setup and manage than Untangle.

Someone recently pointed out to me a new kid on the block: Vyatta (www.vyatta.com). Vyatta also has a "free to download/use" open source version, but that seems to miss a couple of features.

There are many alternate universes, but only this one has beer.

Vyatta isn't a new kid on the block... it's meant to be an open source Cisco.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Bert View Post
    Someone recently pointed out to me a new kid on the block: Vyatta (www.vyatta.com). Vyatta also has a "free to download/use" open source version, but that seems to miss a couple of features.

the only options missing from the paid support version and the free version are some proprietary drivers for dsl/t1/t3 cards and TACACS+. nothing that would affect most home users. i have been running vyatta as my main router for over a year now, and i love it. it now even supports wifi cards to be used as an access point....

dont be confused by their 'comparison chart', all the features are there, and its built on Debian which makes it infinitely expandable as a fully functional appliance. their support forums are amazing and the employees of vyatta have absolutely no qualms about assisting users with adding functionality to their systems, even if its not a part of the core system.

you cannot compare vyatta to astaro or untangle...or even pfsense really. vyatta is first and foremost a router and firewall. it has limited web filtering and it is done via squid in transparent mode (which isnt the greatest). if you need an enterprise-ready router (full VLAN, WLB, Failover, BGP, OSPF, RIP, etc support are all included in the free version), vyatta is something to look at. if you want all the goodies untangle provides, better get untangle. personally i like the combination of the 2. Vyatta up front (mines running on a VIA C7 1.5ghz mini-itx) and UT in bridge mode behind it. the combination is remarkable

Master Untangler

I have recently started using Untangle in full production environment to evaluate how it suits us. We are planning to go to new UTM solution next year, so are considering couple of variants.
    Until now we used Zyxel UTM products mainly for cost. They are very easy to manage and generally stable. But as our needs have increased, our current appliance could not keep up with the demand.

The positive about Zyxel:
    Easy to manage and configure. Pretty good interface, many things more logical than in Untangle.
    Pretty cheap yearly subscriptions.
    Daily updates.
    Kaspersky AV standard.
    Very stable.

Negatives:
    Anti-spam service sucks.
    IDS/IPS gives a lot of false positives and there is no way to tune the system.
    Reporting needs special software that is not very good in itself.
    Customer service sucks big time.
    VPN not good at all.

What I consider positives about Untangle:
    Some free apps seem to be very good.
    Itís free!
    Granular control.
    Nice support in forums.
    Some nice, unique and very useful features (like adblocker).
    Runs on general hardware.
    Great reporting.
    Expandability through new apps.

Negatives:
    Runs on general hardware, so not sure about stability (have had one lock-up so far).
    No daily signature updates for AV (free) IPS, Web Filter etc.
    Interface could be a bit better.
    IPS/IDS seems not to be very effective.
    Expensive. Yes, thatís right, I think the paid versions are quite expensive compared to other UTM subscriptions. The full suite costs actually more than Sonicwall full suite. And moreover the separate apps are so pricey that itís almost always seems to be more economical and reasonable to go for the full bundle.

I have not had much practical experience with Sonicwall, so this is only an faint impression. The positive:
    Very effective AV/IPS/IDS.
    Plenty of features and configurability.
    Good simple and logical interface.
    Daily signature updates.
    Rock-solid.
    Excellent customer service.

The negative:
    Expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by lschafroth View Post
    Have you seen the new Home version with support for 50ips an it does all the features including email, spam, user portals (for email/spam quarantine) and etc. Looks very promising. I'm downloading it now.

Lannie

PS Home Verson supports:

Firewall, VPN, IPS, Web Filter, Antivirus, IMP2P Blocker, Spam Filter, Wan link balancer
    home use is just that..home use. The article and post is business to business..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast